Boxing: East London duo go back to school
- Credit: Action Images
Two big-hitting east London prospects who have handed painful lessons to their rivals went back to school last week.
Anthony Yarde and Daniel Dubois, both based at Canning Town’s Peacock gym, went with promoter Frank Warren to Hackney Boxing Academy to invite pupils to their Copper Box Arena show on Saturday, where both appear on a world title bill.
Yarde has won all 13 of his pro contests, stopping all but one of his rivals, faces Serb Nikola Sjekloca for the WBO European and Inter Continental light heavyweight titles.
Giant heavyweight Daniel Dubois who five wins by KO and faces former Anthony Joshua opponent Dorian Darch (Aberdare) ss world champions James DeGale and Lee Selby make title defences.
The Boxing Academy offers an alternative pathway for students already excluded from mainstream education, using the discipline and culture of boxing.
You may also want to watch:
The trio were joined by Boxing Academy principal Anna Cain to give a talk on the benefits of boxing, before both fighters laced up their gloves for a training session.
Saturday’s packed card also features ex-Repton amateurs Umar Sadiq and Harvey Horn, on his pro debut, Joe Mullender, Johnny Garton, Archie Sharpe, Sanjeev Sahota and Hamzah Sheeraz
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
n Unbeaten Martin J Ward faces Spain’s Juli Giner aiming to add the European super-featherweight title to his success list at York Hall on Wednesday.
Ward has won clashes for British and Commonwealth belts this year bids to boost his career and hopes to add the vacant EBU crown.
Ex-Repton amateur and Olympic cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie bids to increase a six-fight winning run alongside Conor Benn, who has won 10 straight.
Eddie Hearn’s sellout show sees Irish star Katie Taylor bidding for the WBA world female lightweight title, plus bouts featuring Jake Ball, Ted Cheeseman, Gamal Yafai, Joe Cordina and Felix Cash.
n Middleweight Richie Gray – a member of Alec Wilkey’s east London stable – made it six straight wins when outpointing Bulgarian Konstantin Alexandrov at Brentwood on Saturday.