Boxing: Repton welterweight Romario Wallace begins National Elite Championships campaign
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Tower Hamlets
Repton welterweight Romario Wallace begins his ABA National Elite Championships campaign at the University of East London this weekend.
Wallace qualified for the Nationals after winning the London Elite title earlier this year with some strong displays.
However, the welterweight was the only London champion who had to take part in a Nationals preliminary round bout in Huddersfield.
Wallace took on Travis Waters of Sunderland in the preliminary round fight and enjoyed a strong start.
You may also want to watch:
The Repton man knocked his rival down in the second round, before eventually winning on a split decision.
Wallace can now look forward to the National quarter-finals, which take place on Friday.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
If successful, Wallace will progress to the semi-finals at the University of East London the following day, before the final takes place at York Hall on Sunday.
Wallace’s brother Andrew, also competing in Repton colours, previously reached the ABA Elite National Championships semi-finals at bantamweight.