Search

Cook confident ahead of Martinez showdown

PUBLISHED: 17:36 11 March 2009 | UPDATED: 14:10 05 October 2010

Nicky Cook returns to the scene of his greatest triumph on Saturday night knowing he has a chance to earn an even more valuable victory

Nicky Cook returns to the scene of his greatest triumph on Saturday night knowing he has a chance to earn an even more valuable victory on this occasion.

Cook defends his WBO world super-featherweight title against Puerto Rican challenger Roman Martinez at the MEN Arena in Manchester, where the Stepney-born fighter defeated Alex Arthur in September to claim the WBO 9st 4lbs belt.

He is well aware that victory over mandatory challenger Martinez will open the door to the big money fights he has dreamed of during his 10-year career in professional boxing.

Promoter Frank Warren predicts that big things lie ahead if Cook emerges as a winner on a card headlined by Amir Khan's showdown against Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera.

"Nicky has made it very clear that he wants to unify the various super-featherweight titles and that's what we are looking to do later in 2009 if he wins in Manchester," said Sports Network boss Warren.

Rival 'Rocky' Martinez, 25, is clearly a worthy challenger, who remains unbeaten in his 22 pro fights and currently occupies the No1 spot in the WBO rankings and is rated No2 in the world by the WBC.

But with just a single defeat in 30 pro contests of his own, Cook is confident that he can overcome Martinez and establish himself as the top name in the highly competitive super-featherweight division.

"I've watched a few DVDs of Martinez in action and he is an exciting fighter who likes to throw a lot of punches, but he does get hit a lot," Cook said of the Latin American challenger, who is considered a slight favourite by the bookmakers.

"Martinez had to go all 10 rounds for a points win over Walter Estrada, who my stablemate Kevin Mitchell had already stopped in five rounds."

Cook, who has returned from a three week training camp at Jimmy Yellop's TKO Gym in Tenerife, added: "It's a big plus that the fight is over here and I'm confident that I am going to have my hand raised."

On the undercard of the Sports Network bill, Enzo Maccarinelli faces Nigerian Ola Afolabi, who was raised in London and now lives in Los Angeles, for the interim WBO cruiserweight title.

MEN show tickets are available from Nicky Cook's ticket hotline on 07973 566104.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 13:00

Leyton Orient captain Jobi McAnuff has backed English Football League chairman Rick Parry’s combative letter to the Government and revealed the toll on players caused by the continued absence of fans from matches.

Wed, 16:00

London Lions have added Great Britain centre Fahro Alihodzic to their roster as they approach the start of the domestic season and look to January’s FIBA Eurocup campaign.

Wed, 15:00

A programme to get more youngsters involved in outdoor sport is being started at Mile End stadium in the search for “the hockey stars of tomorrow”.

Wed, 13:00

West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye is feeling optimistic under manager David Moyes.

Wed, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton was ‘disappointed’ that his side failed to push on after early lead as they drew 1-1 with Exeter City.

Tue, 20:55

League Two: Leyton Orient 1 Exeter City 1

Tue, 14:00

Lukasz Fabianski 7: Huge save to deny Raheem Sterling late on. Went right way and almost stopped Phil Foden’s goal.

Mon, 13:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton knows they’re not the finished article yet but is way more pleased with progress after their 2-0 victory over Stevenage.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Did you know? UCAS gets almost 3 million university applications from around 700,000 people each year. That’s a lot of competition. So how can your son or daughter stand out? 

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser