Search

Cook lined up for February defence of world title

PUBLISHED: 10:49 08 January 2009 | UPDATED: 13:56 05 October 2010

Nicky Cook looks set to return to action next month with a defence of his WBO world super-featherweight title

NICKY COOK looks set to return to action next month with a defence of his WBO world super-featherweight title.

Promoter Frank Warren wants to feature Cook and former WBO cruiserweight titleholder Enzo Maccarinelli on a big promotion in February.

Stepney-born Cook was ruled out of making a first defence of his title against Manchester's Steve Foster Jr at the ExCeL Arena last month due to flu.

But Sports Network boss Warren and the fighter's father-trainer Paul Cook have been busy this week discussing possible challengers for a February fight, which could be a mandatory defence.

That would mean a meeting with No1 challenger Roman Martinez, the unbeaten Puerto Rican fighter, who says he is ready to face the world champion.

"I feel that our styles are going to make for a very exciting and action filled championship fight," Martinez said.

"Anyone who has seen me in action knows that those are the kind fights that I like to be involved in. I've been in all different types of fights since my debut in 2001and have remained unbeaten.

" I'm very confident that my own experiences and proper preparation will have me ready for a successful challenge when I get the chance to face Nicky Cook.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

16:02

The 2019-20 Women’s Super League season has been brought to an end with immediate effect.

13:00

Premier League clubs will vote on proposals for a return to contact training on Wednesday.

12:00

With sport still shut down across most of the globe due to the coronavirus pandemic, why not test your sporting knowledge with another quiz?

08:02

Professional sport has nudged a further step closer to a resumption after the government published ‘stage two’ of its guidance which enables competitive and close-contact training.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

England Boxing is set to launch a series of free 30-minute online mental health awareness sessions called ‘Box In Mind Bitesize’.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Alan Martin contacted the sports desk with memories of when Leyton Orient met Arsenal in 1952.

Friday, May 22, 2020

With live sport remaining on hold during the ongoing coronavirus shutdown, why not put your sporting general knowledge to the test?

Friday, May 22, 2020

The Government must underwrite a new body to protect clubs in the English Football League from going under in the coronavirus pandemic, a new report says.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

People working for a wide range of private companies have been standing side-by-side with public sector staff on the front line during the coronavirus outbreak.

The United Kingdom is pulling together as one, with people from all regions and all four nations of the country helping each other through the coronavirus pandemic.

Most read sport

Competitions

A competition for wannabe writers has been started to add works to Canary Wharf’s ‘short story’ dispensers which are temporarily locked up by the lock down.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser