Cook title defence cancelled
PUBLISHED: 07:04 26 November 2008 | UPDATED: 13:49 05 October 2010
NICKY COOK has been forced to pull out of his WBO world super-featherweight title defence against Stephen Foster Jnr next month because of illness
NICKY COOK has been forced to pull out of his WBO world super-featherweight title defence against Stephen Foster Jnr next month because of illness, his promoters announced this week.
The Stepney-born fighter had been set to make his first appearance since winning the belt from Scotland's Alex Arthur in September at the ExCeL Arena in London on December 6, but has been ruled out due to flu.
"He has withdrawn today following professional medical advice," a statement from Frank Warren's Sports Network said.
The bill will go ahead with Enzo Maccarinelli challenging the American Jonathon Banks for the WBO world cruiserweight title.
But Cook has revealed he is "absolutely devastated" that he will be unable to headline the show in front of his own supporters.
He said: "I'm absolutely devastated that I won't be able to defend my title for the first time and especially as it's in my backyard.
"I returned to training last week but it was clear that I had missed too many training sessions to catch up and I just felt really weak because of the flu.
"I can't let my heart rule my head and it's important that I'm 100 per cent fit and ready to defend my title rather than lose it and come out with excuses."
Amir Khan also returns on the undercard for his first fight since losing his undefeated record.