Search

Gym partners could do battle for title

PUBLISHED: 16:56 28 August 2008 | UPDATED: 13:34 05 October 2010

By LEN WHALEY TRAINING partners Kevin Mitchell and Nicky Cook could become rivals for the world super featherweight title with a potential clash lined up for next year. Cook is challenging reigning champion Alex Arthur for the WBO world championship in a

By LEN WHALEY

TRAINING partners Kevin Mitchell and Nicky Cook could become rivals for the world super featherweight title with a potential clash lined up for next year.

Cook is challenging reigning champion Alex Arthur for the WBO world championship in a Battle of Britain duel at the MEN Arena next month.

If Cook succeeds in capturing the belt on September 6, the Stepney-born fighter has revealed that he would consider making a first defence against undefeated British title holder Mitchell - despite both fighters being trained by Cook's father Paul.

The east London duel for the world title would be a major attraction in the sport if Mitchell's promoter Frank Warren makes a big-money bid for the pair to put their friendship aside for a well-paid one night encounter.

And Cook has revealed that he would have no hesitation about fighting Mitchell.

He said: "This is a business at the end of the day. If they want us to fight and the money is right, then I'd certainly sit down and talk about it."

Mitchell could end up challenging for the title even if stable-mate Cook is defeated in Manchester - after Edinburgh fighter Arthur admitted he would also be prepared to go head-to-head with the Dagenham youngster.

"I don't have a problem fighting Kevin Mitchell or anyone else," said Arthur.

"It doesn't make a great deal of difference to me who they put in front of me, as long as I get paid."

Super featherweight rivals Arthur and Cook appear happy to save their own rivalry for their ring following a pre-fight press conference this week full of pleasantries.

But both men promised there will be plenty of bad blood when the bell goes at the start of their world title clash.

"We are both nice guys and family men at heart, but once the bell goes we'll be at each other's throats," said champion Arthur.

The 28-year-old Cook is making his first world title appearance in the division after boxing for the WBO crown at featherweight last year - but he insists he will be ready on the night.

"I'll have to meet whatever Alex is planning to throw at me," said Cook. "Whatever he hits me with I'll be throwing back twice as much. I've got the tools to beat him."

Tickets for the show are available from www.frankwarren.tv and MEN Ticketmaster on 0870 1908000.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

42 minutes ago

Leyton Orient have announced their retained list with the League Two season coming to an end, despite final decisions on league positions next week.

17:45

England’s three-Test series against the West Indies will go ahead next month subject to government clearance, the England and Wales Cricket Board has confirmed.

16:00

West Ham United Women are teaming up with domestic abuse charities after a sharp rise in incidents during the coronavirus pandemic.

15:00

Tottenham Hotspur youngster George Marsh feels he is only just getting started after a positive first campaign in senior football on loan at Leyton Orient.

12:00

Bookmakers issued a mixed report as British racing returned from a 76-day absence, with most firms describing trade as brisk.

10:00

A group of leading British sporting identities have teamed up to help boost prostate cancer research.

09:00

Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane admits that he is surprised at how wide the sales of the Leyton Orient shirt he sponsors have spread, but is delighted for the club and the charities involved.

07:25

County cricket’s reduced pay deal has been extended to the end of July, as players continue to wait for their season to resume.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Schools across the country have been preparing for some of their pupils to return to the classroom. Here is how one group of schools has been getting ready to make sure pupils can be taught safely and get on with lessons.

The Government is encouraging people to stay alert as many take their first steps back to their workplace.

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser