Search

Harrison prepares for Brazilian opponent

PUBLISHED: 11:27 04 September 2008 | UPDATED: 13:35 05 October 2010

BRAZILIAN heavyweight champion George Arias was this week unveiled as the opponent for former Repton hero Audley Harrison at the MEN Arena in Manchester on Saturday. Harrison, who was due to fight Martin Rogan before the Irishman pulled out with an injury

BRAZILIAN heavyweight champion George Arias was this week unveiled as the opponent for former Repton hero Audley Harrison at the MEN Arena in Manchester on Saturday.

Harrison, who was due to fight Martin Rogan before the Irishman pulled out with an injury, will keep his place on the undercard of the Sports Network promotion after accepting an offer to take on Arias.

The 2000 Olympic Games gold medallist will make his first appearance in this country since he was beaten in three rounds by Michael Sprott at Wembley in February last year.

Harrison came back in April with a win over American Jason Barnett in Las Vegas, where he is now based, and his record currently stands at 22 wins in 25 pro fights.

Arias is convinced that he can put a dent in Harrison's record despite his own modest record of 10 defeats in a career that has spanned more than 50 contests.

The 34-year old has campaigned mainly in his native Brazil but has also fought some of the top names on the European scene and challenged Sheffield's Johnny Nelson for the WBO cruiserweight title, losing on points at York Hall in 2001.

He said: "Harrison knows that if he loses this fight, he has nowhere left to go and that makes him a very dangerous opponent.

"I've prepared for a war but to be honest I expect to win the fight easily inside the distance.

"It will be carnival time in Manchester on Saturday when I knock him out and shut him up once and for all."

Harrison, nicknamed the A-Force, will be looking for a good win to rekindle his big-time ambitions but Arias is renowned as a durable opponent and has suffered just two points defeats in his last nine fights.

l Repton boxing club prospect Martin Ward has just arrived back from the Olympic Games in Beijing - but he is off on his travels again this week to take part in an international tournament in Germany.

The 17-year-old Ward was selected for the trip to China as one of the outstanding boxing prospects in the country and spent 11 days with Britain's boxing squad in Beijing.

The Repton youngster is now hoping to use that experience to his advantage in Germany, where he will aim to add to his string of national and international awards.

With a world ranking of No 3 he is tipped for another triumph in October when he travels to compete in the Youth World Boxing Championships in Guadalajara, Mexico.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 19:32

The British & Irish Lions and SA Rugby have confirmed the 2021 tour to South Africa will go ahead as scheduled.

Yesterday, 17:00

Former Leyton Orient striker James Alabi reveals he was not ‘shocked’ to not be offered a new contract by the club and knew it was coming ever since he was sent out on loan to Eastleigh.

Yesterday, 14:00

New West Ham United Women’s signing Maz Pacheco says she ‘can’t wait to grow’ as a player after joining the club.

Yesterday, 11:53

Premier League clubs have agreed a 10-week summer transfer window which opens on July 27.

Tue, 21:53

London Lions have announced a two-year contract extension for two-time BBL MVP Justin Robinson ahead of the 2020-21 campaign.

Tue, 16:26

Leyton Orient have confirmed the appointment of Danny Senda as the club’s new assistant head coach to help give Ross Embleton more support.

Tue, 14:35

London Lions captain, Joe Ikhinmwin makes it eight straight seasons after the club confirms his return once more for the 2020-21 season.

Mon, 22:01

Packed playing calendars and the onset of social distancing means England’s World Cup winning squad are unable to toast the anniversary of last year’s unforgettable Lord’s victory in person, but captain Eoin Morgan plans to get the gang back together sooner rather than later.

PROMOTED CONTENT

People across the country are being encouraged to enjoy summer safely by following official advice and staying safe.

The NHS Test and Trace service brings together testing, contact tracing and outbreak management into an end-to-end service to stop the spread of the virus and help us move out of lockdown.

The UK Government has launched a campaign to shine a light on businesses and employees across the country who have responded to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in remarkable ways and are now going back to business.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser