Search

Steeds eyes title shot in Prizefighter tournament

PUBLISHED: 16:30 22 April 2009 | UPDATED: 14:17 05 October 2010

Micky Steeds

Micky Steeds

Micky Steeds is confident that he can boost his career – and his bank balance – when eight cruiserweights battle for £25,000 at next month's Prizefighter event

By LEN WHALEY

Micky Steeds is confident that he can boost his career - and his bank balance when eight cruiserweights battle for £25,000 at next month's Prizefighter event.

Promoter Barry Hearn believes the latest edition of his fast and furious three-round tournament represents the strongest line-up so far.

The eight fighters battling for the winner-takes-all cash prize can boast two European belts, four Commonwealth championships and six British titles between them.

But 25-year-old Steeds insists he can prevail against the top quality opposition as the Isle of Dogs campaigner looks to bounce back from the double disappointment of British title defeats at heavyweight and cruiserweight in the past two years.

"It's a good competition and you can see that by the names in it, but I know I'm the youngest and prettiest there so I have to fancy my chances," Steeds said.

Steeds got a close look at his rivals, including veterans Bruce Scott and Terry Dunstan, at a press conference last week on the country's most famous old cruiser - HMS Belfast on the River Thames.

And the Peacock Gym-trained Steeds is optimistic that he can give his career a major lift by overcoming celebrated campaigners such as Scott, Dunstan and former European champion Dean Francis.

He said: "If you go all the way you can get three good names on your record all in one night, and that may normally take a couple of years."

Matchroom boss Hearn, who has promoted more than 500 boxing shows, announced that the cruiserweight edition of the tournament had the star power to be the most exciting in the history of the Prizefighter series.

The inaugural heavyweight competition, in which Martin Rogan defeated David Dolan, remains the tournament's highlight, but Hearn believes the Earls Court show could provide the fireworks to surpass the original tournament.

"I've not seen a bad Prizefighter fight and I'm proud to think that millions of people around the world will enjoy a great night's entertainment," Hearn said.

"I thought the first heavyweight Prizefighter was always going to be a cracker but this promises to be even better.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News

51 minutes ago

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton knows they’re not the finished article yet but is way more pleased with progress after their 2-0 victory over Stevenage.

10:00

West Ham United defensive midfielder Declan Rice believes they’re building something special as they nicked a 1-1 draw against Manchester City.

Saturday, October 24, 2020

League Two: Stevenage 0 Leyton Orient 2

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Premier League: West Ham United 1 Manchester City 1

Friday, October 23, 2020

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has revealed he spoke with former O’s striker and now Stevenage boss Alex Revell frequently during the original Covid-19 lockdown as they now go head-to-head this weekend.

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Sporting Bengal United manager Imrul Gazi is feeling confident after two big wins to correct their slow start to the new Essex Senior League season.

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Wapping men secured a 4-2 victory over Bromley and Beckenham to make it three consecutive wins in the Conference East League.

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton was ‘pleased’ for his squad to bounce back to winning ways as they put in a much-better team performance.

PROMOTED CONTENT

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

The way the UK does business with Europe changes from January 1, heralding a new start for the small and medium-sized companies. Let’s get businesses ready to take advantage of new opportunities...

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser