Search

Ward off the mark as Khan caps rise

PUBLISHED: 14:47 22 July 2009 | UPDATED: 14:36 05 October 2010

On the same night that former rival Amir Khan clinched a world title in Manchester, Bobby Ward was putting the first win on his pro record

On the same night that the boxer he once defeated, Amir Khan, clinched a world title at the MEN Arena in Manchester, former Repton amateur Bobby Ward was putting the first win on his pro record in a low-key contest at York Hall.

Ward and Khan recorded a win apiece in their two amateur meetings a decade ago, and the former schoolboy rivals both recorded good points victories in their latest ring appearances on Saturday.

But while Khan's victory over Andreas Kotelnik completed a rise to stardom that began with his silver medal success at the Athens Olympic in 2004, Ward's win marked a return to winning ways following a five-year break from boxing.

And after his pro career started with a controversial draw in his debut at Wigan last month, Ward was simply relieved to collect a maiden victory after beating experienced campaigner Sid Razak.

In an impressive display, Ward won every round against an opponent who had tested former British champion Martin Power during a tough tussle in the same Bethnal Green ring less than three weeks earlier.

But Ward, nicknamed Boogaloo after the famous American middleweight Bobby Watts, punched too fast and too often for Razak, as the former Repton ace switched his attacks from body to head throughout the contest.

Razak was shaken more than once by powerful left hooks but the battle-hardened Midlander, who has earned a reputation for durability in his eight-year paid career, survived the full distance.

At the final bell, referee Mark Green raised Ward's glove, scoring him the winner of every round.

"It was good to see Bobby get the verdict he deserved this time - especially after his debut when the referee was the only person who scored it a draw," said trainer Tony Sims.

Ward is now gearing up for a third pro contest, which looks set to take place on the undercard of the Hennessy Sports promotion at Alexandra Palace on September 5, which will see Darren Barker, another former Repton star, challenge for the British title.

In an eagerly awaited showdown scheduled for the Wood Green venue, undefeated Commonwealth middleweight title-holder Barker faces Birmingham's Britsh champion Matthew Macklin, who has lost two of his 26 paid contests.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

14:30

West Ham United boss David Moyes said his side are in ‘a good place’ as they prepare to welcome fellow Premier League strugglers Watford to London Stadium on Friday (8pm).

13:47

London Lions have been handed a dream tie against Lithuania’s Neptunas Klaipeda in the Basketball Champions League.

12:42

The London and East regional Women’s hub will compete in the new Women’s Elite Domestic Structure as the Sunrisers.

11:00

West Ham United Women have completed the signing of Czech Republic international Katerina Svitkova from Slavia Prague.

09:05

England bowler Jofra Archer has been sent into self-isolation and ruled out of this today’s second Test against the West Indies after “a breach of the team’s bio-secure protocols”.

09:00

With more grassroots sport now returning to action since the three-month lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, we celebrate with another quiz.

07:44

Stuart Broad is set for a leading role in the second Test against the West Indies, one week on from seeking reassurances over his England future, with James Anderson and Mark Wood rested.

Yesterday, 19:32

The British & Irish Lions and SA Rugby have confirmed the 2021 tour to South Africa will go ahead as scheduled.

PROMOTED CONTENT

People across the country are being encouraged to enjoy summer safely by following official advice and staying safe.

The NHS Test and Trace service brings together testing, contact tracing and outbreak management into an end-to-end service to stop the spread of the virus and help us move out of lockdown.

The UK Government has launched a campaign to shine a light on businesses and employees across the country who have responded to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in remarkable ways and are now going back to business.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser