Ward wants to get better of Belfast's Cacace in battle of unbeaten rivals at Wembley
PUBLISHED: 14:00 13 June 2017
PA Wire/PA Images
British super-featherweight champion Martin Ward defends his title against Belfast's Anthony Cacace in a clash of unbeaten fighters at the SSE Arena Wembley on July 15.
Cacace has 15 straight wins, with Ward recording 17 victories and two draws to date as they head for a showdown on the Poxon Sports promotion, in association with Team Sauerland.
Top of the bill is the IBO world super-middleweight title clash between Chris Eubank Jr and challenger Arthur Abraham.
“It’s a great chance for me to shine against a quality challenger at Wembley with the added bonus of a vacant Commonwealth title at stake,” said Ward who won amateur honours at Repton BC.
It’s the third defence of the title that 25-year-old Ward took against Andy Townend at the O2 Arena last year, which he followed up with a win over Scot Ronnie Clarke at Wembley and a victory over Maxi Hughes in Manchester.
Ward, trained by Bethnal Green coach Tony Sims at Matchroom’s gym in Brentwood, has already been preparing for the fight that was first scheduled to be staged in Belfast earlier this month.
He knows Ulsterman Cacace, 28, could prove his toughest test to date after an outstanding amateur career followed by his pro successes, including the only stoppage win over Ronnie Clarke
The five foot 10 inch tall challenger has sparred extensively with former world champion Anthony Crolla and is quick to praise his Wembley rival.
“Ward is a terrific fighter. Like me he is unbeaten and he will come into the ring really fancying his chances,” said Cacace.
“I’ve got to show all the hype about me is true and my game plan is to not only beat him, but to stop him and show everyone I’m a new star of the sport.”
The Wembley bill will be screened on ITV Box Office and also features unbeaten super lightweight Liverpudlian Robbie Davies Jr in title action.
Cruiserweight Daniel Mendes made it four wins in five outings on the Goodwin promotion at York Hall on Saturday, beating Croatian Tony Bilic.
Mendes, whose only loss came on a split decision last year in Macedonia, dominated a four-round clash with solid southpaw attacks for a 40-36 points win.
Jose Lopes looks to get back on the victory trail on the Goodwin promotion at York Hall on July 8, having suffered a first loss in eight to Ossie Jervier in March.