Brilliant Bob becomes single sculls world champion
Poplar, Blackwell and District rower wins gold in Germany
Bob Milligan admitted he shocked even himself to become the World Masters single sculls champion in Germany last week.
The Poplar, Blackwell & District Rowing Club member won his age 60-65 category race on the waters of Duisburg by four seconds to claim the gold medal.
The 60-year-old from Chingford had high hopes of making a successful defence of his double sculls title alongside Ralph Humphrey, but was ecstatic after his surprise solo success.
“The win was totally unexpected,” said Milligan. “But I am extremely delighted.”
You may also want to watch:
The gold medal followed silver won earlier in the day by Milligan and Humphrey, 45, who were beaten over 1,000 metres by Germany – with the British pair missing out on retaining their title by 0.6 seconds.
The following day the duo, who train eight times a week at the Isle of Dogs based club, were joined by two German policewomen from Berlin in the mixed quadruple scull event and posted the fastest time of the day to win gold.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
Club captain Chris Spencer praised his senior team-mates for their fine feats.
“The entire club is proud of their achievements,” he said.
“And the intensity with which they train would put a lot of younger athletes to shame.”
Poplar, Blackwell & District Rowing Club will host racing on Sunday, September 23 from 10.30am.
For more information visit www.pbdrc.co.uk.