Cheltenham Town F.C
Conor Thomas (31)
Leyton Orient F.C
Leyton Orient slip down to 12th with defeat to leaders Cheltenham Town
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Leyton Orient slip down to 12th in the League Two table as they suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat to leaders Cheltenham Town.
A 31st minute penalty from Conor Thomas was the difference between the two sides at the Jonny Rocks Stadium.
The O’s manager Jobi McAnuff made two changes to the side that was held to a 0-0 draw with Walsall on Bank Holiday with Dan Happe and Hector Kyprianou coming in to replace Tunji Akinola and the injured Ouss Cisse while Nick Freeman returned to the bench.
Orient got their first taste of Robins Ben Tozer’s long throw but Kyprianou headed the ball up into the air and Lawrence Vigouroux pushed it over the crossbar in the fifth minute.
In the ninth minute Andy Williams was found open in the box in behind Jamie Turley but he scuffed his effort wide despite being through on goal just after he lashed an effort wide moments earlier.
You may also want to watch:
The Robins were awarded a penalty in the 30th minute of play as a long ball was pumped forward where goalkeeper Vigouroux raced out and collided with Williams.
Up stepped Conor Thomas who dispatched his effort into the bottom right corner from the spot.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 3 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 4 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 5 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 10 Isle of Dogs The Space theatre to open up after lockdown
Early in the second-half Orient defender Jamie Turley made a vital block to deny the hosts Callum Wright from doubling their lead.
In the 55th minute Conor Wilkinson forced goalkeeper Josh Griffiths into a huge save as he headed a Dan Kemp free-kick goal bound but his effort was denied.
Shortly after Cheltenham midfielder Liam Sercombe fired a shot from the edge of the box but Vigouroux dove to his right and flicked it away.
Cheltenham looked to punish Orient on the counter, but Sam Ling and Kyprianou did enough to defend their box before the ball ends up in Vigouroux's gloves in the 69th minute.
The O's applied pressure late on and kept possession well but failed to create any real clear cut chances.
Cheltenham Town: Griffiths, Long, Tozer, Raglan, Blair, Wright (Azaz 80), Thomas, Sercombe, Hussey, Williams (Smith 67), May (Lloyd 89).
Unused subs: Flinders, Freestone, Chapman, Vassilev.
Leyton Orient: Vigouroux, Ling, Turley, Happe, Widdowson (Abrahams 56), Kyprianou, Clay (Freeman 79), Kemp, Wilkinson, Brophy, Johnson.
Unused subs: Sargeant, Coulson, Akinola, McAnuff, Dennis.