Papa John's Trophy
Crawley Town F.C
Leyton Orient F.C
Ruel Sotiriou (7, 58)
Dan Happe (30)
Dan Kemp (77)
Leyton Orient seal progress in Papa John's Trophy with Crawley victory
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Leyton Orient sealed their progress into the knock-out stages of the Papa John's Trophy as they cruised to a 4-0 victory over league rivals Crawley Town.
A brace from Ruel Sotiriou and goals from Dan Happe and Dan Kemp guided the young O's to back-to-back wins in the cup competition.
Manager Kenny Jackett made wholesale changes for the trip away to Crawley Town in the Papa John's Trophy.
Ruel Sotiriou opened the scoring in the seventh minute of play as he controlled a deflection before firing a wicked half-volley off of the post from just inside the penalty area in the seventh minute.
Young O's defender Jayden Sweeney popped up in the box to convert, but Tony Craig came to the rescue with a great last ditch tackle in the 27th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Orient doubled their lead as a ball in from Tom James was met with a towering header from Dan Happe, who nestled it into the far corner three minutes later.
The visitors had yet another good chance as loanee Tyrese Omotoye intercepted the ball and went in on goal.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 7 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 8 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 9 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
The Norwich City's forward's low effort, though, was held by Dion Curtis-Henry.
Crawley midfielder Bansal-McNulty drilled a long range effort early in the second-half, but young Rhys Byrne comfortably held onto the shot.
After some good hold-up play, Sotiriou fed the ball in for Omotoye, but the Crawley keeper got there just before the front man.
A long throw evaded everyone and bounces into the path of Sotiriou, who thumped it home on the half volley to make it 3-0 in the 58th minute.
A close-ranged finish for Dan Kemp after Craig Clay's cross found him unmarked in the six-yard box made it 4-0 with 13 minutes left to play.
Crawley Town: Henry, Davies, Dallison, Craig, Gallacher, Tilley (Frost 81), Bansal-McNulty (Kevser-Junior 86), Powell, Marshall, Khaleel (Appiah 61), Battle.
Unused subs: Morris, Francomb, Rodari, Hessenthaler.
Leyton Orient: Byrne, Ogie, Sweeney, Happe, James, Kyprianou, Clay, Papadopoulos, Sotiriou, Kemp, Omotoye (Nkrumah 79).
Unused subs: Vigouroux, Wood, Beckles, Young, Archibald, Drinan.