Da Costa double inspires British Championships success
Docklands Karate club excelled at the British Clicker Championships by scooping 15 medals at the national tournament in Reading
DOCKLANDS KARATE club excelled at the British Clicker Championships last weekend by scooping 15 medals at the national tournament in Reading.
Former world junior champion Chris Da Costa (right) led the way for the east London club, triumphing in the cadet category and finishing third in the adult men's section, which he entered for the first time.
Da Costa's achievements are particularly impressive since he is still recovering from a serious leg injury.
Matous Vambersky recorded a third successive victory in the men's competition for green belts and under, beating club-mate Andrey Pogudin into the silver medal position in the final.
You may also want to watch:
The club's junior boys team of Hans Tai, Daniel Boorman, Karl Kelland, Emilis Zajanckauskas and Hosaam Safdar also collected silver medals after a narrow final defeat by Welsh outfit Mountain Ash.
Zajanckauskas also impressed in the individual section, defeating a newly crowned world junior champion in the semi-finals to clinch a silver medal.
- 1 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 6 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 7 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
Tai, Roxanne Nauth-Misir and the Docklands Under-10 team of Alfie Thompson and Usama Kallouche completed the club's successful display by securing bronze medals.
Docklands Karate club train on Mondays and Wednesdays at the Barkantine Hall, Westferry Road, Isle of Dogs. Sessions for children run from 7-8pm and adults from 8-9.30pm. For more details call 01708 743789 or visit www.docklandsdojo.co.uk.