Da Costas lead Docklands to best day ever
- Credit: Archant
Club celebrate clean sweep at British Championships
Docklands Karate Club enjoyed the best day in its 28-year history at the British Kyokushinkai Championships.
The 23-year-old Chris da Costa, the British champion in 2012, won the men’s individual honours ahead of brothers Jordan, 19, and Max, 16, to complete the first family clean sweep in the 40-year history of the competition.
And the eldest of the Da Costa trio also won the best technical male fighter and team event alongside Reshat Kemal, Danny Petrov, Tom Kaminski and Andrei Bota, as well as helping England beat Wales in the annual team fixture.
Meanwhile, graphic designer Alex Nauth-Misir, 22, won the women’s high grade individual division ahead of clubmate Inna Velixar, as well as helping Meli Tsoneva and Nicole Hussey to team success and winning her fight in the women’s England v Wales team fixture.
You may also want to watch:
Tsoneva and Hussey were second and third in the women’s low-grade competition, while Isle of Dogs youngster Nuha Wan-Armizi, 11, beat younger sister Auni to win the girls’ low-grade honours.
The sisters also helped the junior and pee-wee teams finish in third place, alongside Erin Cashman, Natasha Fasanotti, Benas Brinius and Coco Cardona.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Docklands club members train on Monday and Wednesday at the Barkantine Hall in Westferry Road, Isle of Dogs, E14 8SS.
Classes for six to 13-year-olds are held from 7-8pm and adults from 8-9.30pm, with new members welcome.
See docklandsdojo.co.uk or call 01708 743789 for more information.