Docklands squeeze past Lynx
London Docklands battled to a hard-fought win against east London rivals Lynx on Sunday to strengthen their hold on third place in the National League
London Docklands battled to a hard-fought win against east London rivals Lynx on Sunday to strengthen their hold on third place in the National League.
It was a special day for veteran Andy Vincett whose 209th outing in a Docklands shirt made him the leading appearance holder for the club.
Man of the match Matteo Cottignoli provided setter Danielle Di Bella with a stable platform on which to feed all his hitters and it was Sliti who sealed the first set with a sharp cross court smash to take the set 25-19.
Lynx are renowned for their never-say-die attitude and two Hassani kills along with four Docklands' errors saw the scores tied at 8-8 in the second, before Lynx won the set 26-24.
You may also want to watch:
It was 21-21 in the third and Docklands saved four set points before losing 31-29.
Aces by Halatchev and Vincett emphasised Docklands dominance in the fourth set as they won 25-20.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
In the fifth, with the score at 8-7 to Lynx, Sliti then took control of the match with a kill followed by an ace, taking Docklands back in front.
After his serve forced Lynx to give Docklands a free ball, Sliti put away a back court attack to open up a 10-8 lead. A clinical block by Blair on Ekanem gave Docklands two match points at 14-12.
Ekanem recovered well to save the first one but then Senatore hit the ball off the Lynx block into the aerial to seal a 15-13 fifth set win.