Dubois strikes gold for GB at Youth Olympics
- Credit: Archant
Repton’s Caroline Dubois won boxing gold for Great Britain on the last day of the Youth Olympics in Argentina.
Dubois’ win was the 35th of her young career and the Londoner is yet to lose a fight while collecting three European and one world title as well as Youth Olympic gold.
The 17-year-old was taken to the bell in the third and last round by Thailand’s Porntip Buapa but Dubois’ sharp combinations and relentless attacking style was too much for her opponent with all five judges calling the fight in favour of the undefeated Brit.
“This is everything I’ve ever dreamed of,” said Dubois. “When I’m training in the gym I’m imagining these fights so I’ve done this fight already 50 times before. It’s just amazing that it’s finally come true.
“I’m really happy with what the team have done here, all the boys, we’ve showed our class out there. When the boys finished they all came and supported me and it was great to have them 100% behind me.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve won the youth Europeans, Worlds and now the Olympics. I’ve won it all so soon it’ll be time for me to step up to the seniors and go for the Olympic Games.
“An Olympic Games is a very exciting prospect and I’d enjoy every minute if I ever had that chance. It’s amazing to even think about having an opportunity like that and I’d really appreciate it if it ever happened.”
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
Karol Itauma also won boxing gold for GB, while Hassan Azim took bronze to leave them with 15 medals in total at the Games.