East London back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
One goal is enough to secure points
East London’s men returned to winning ways in East Two South with a hard-fought success against Harpenden.
Play swung from end to end in the opening 20 minutes, but East London forced more short corners, which they failed to convert.
The deadlock was broken when some fine base line play from David Polley set up the chance for Mitchel Nicholson to score his first of the season at the far post.
And that proved enough as Harpenden failed to break down the home defence, despite a late yellow card to East London’s Matt Burder.
You may also want to watch:
The women were also celebrating after a 2-1 win at Canterbury thirds in Division Two South East.
East London spent most of the first half soaking up pressure from the hosts, on a heavily-watered pitch.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
Eilis Quinlan received two cards in quick succession, but returned to earn the player of the match award for the visitors.
Canterbury opened the scoring before half time, but East’s fitness proved key after the restart.
Bee Armstrong made a good interception and ran through to level, before East London saw two short corners go to waste.
And they claimed the points when good link-up play found Lucy Canham in the D and she made no mistake with her finish.
Other results, men: E London II 4 (Kickham 2, Bell, Lyness) Brentwood III 2; E London III 3 (Johns pen, Knight, Siddall) Crostyx II 1; E London IV 4 (Jahan 2, Ball, Varley) Colchester III 1; E London V 1 (Amin) Witham III 1; E London VI 10 (Fitzpatrick 3, Patel 3, Voss 2, Rebelo, Williams) Brentwood V 0; E London V 1 (Manta) Rochford 5.
Women: E London II (Gray, Taylor) W Forest II 1; E London III 7 (Cain 3, Johnson 2, Graham, Davis) Phoenix II 0; E London IV 6 (Le Mesurier 3, Linssen, Bosman) Basildon IV 0; E London V 5 (Judd 3, Douglas, Birnie) Upminster V 0; E London VI 1 (Wright) Witham III 3.