East London looking for new members
- Credit: Archant
Hockey club holding trials at Lee Valley
East London Hockey Club are about to begin their 25th anniversary season, having launched in September 1991 with just one men’s and one women’s team when they played their first league games.
Since then the club has developed and expanded so that team selection is now required, with eight men’s teams and a seventh women’s team being entered into the league for the first time in 2015/16.
The top six men’s teams all won promotion last season and the club also fields two mixed teams on Sundays.
Nonetheless, the club hare holding trials ahead of the new campaign on Saturday August 1 and players of all abilities who want to play in an adult team (aged 13 and over), are welcome and encouraged to attend, especially goalkeepers.
You may also want to watch:
A club spokesperson said: “Everyone who wants to play for the season will play, it’s just a matter of finding the right team for you, so you can make the most of the pre-season games.”
The trials are to be held at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre, Eton Manor, the home of England Hockey, at the top of the Olympic Park.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
The women’s trials will run from 9.30am until midday, with the men’s trials from 11.30am to 2pm.
The day will consist of a mixture of drills and small-sided games and anyone interested in attending should bring a stick, shin pads, a gum shield if possible, and a bottle (there is a tap by the pitch).
The club plans to hold a picnic on the grass area outside the Olympic Velodrome after the trials, so those attending are encouraged to bring a packed lunch.
Youth training for five to 16-year-olds resumes at Lee Valley on Sunday September 6.