Essex batsman Dan Lawrence receives England test squad call-up
- Credit: PA
Essex batsman Dan Lawrence will join up with the England Test squad this weekend for their tour of Sri Lanka.
The 22-year-old played the last of his four matches for Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League on Sunday, but failed to score in their four-wicket win over Hobart Hurricanes.
Lawrence managed a total of 41 runs in four innings for Brisbane, having shone for England Lions on their tour of Australia last summer, scoring two centuries in a haul of 498 runs, while also taking 11 wickets at 23 runs apiece.
And he will be hoping to make his Test debut behind closed doors in Galle after being named in a 16-man squad by the ECB.
England will train and prepare for the series at Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium in Hambantota before the two Tests are played in Galle, starting on January 14 and January 22.
You may also want to watch:
Lawrence has been a key member of the Essex line-up in recent years, helping them win two county championship titles, as well as the Vitality Blast T20 crown in 2019.
- 1 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Embleton 'frustrated' with late penalty which led to Bradford defeat
- 3 Leyton Orient boss Embleton not concerned about current formation
- 4 Why rogue East End landlords had to pay back £200,000 to renters
- 5 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- 6 Leyton Orient slip down the table after late defeat to Bradford City
- 7 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 8 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
- 9 Shamima Begum will find out this week if she can return from Syria
- 10 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl