Fifton posts new liftime best to top Euro rankings
Rikki Fifton has climbed to the top of the European 200m rankings after setting a new lifetime best of 20.46secs in Geneva
Rikki Fifton has climbed to the top of the European 200m rankings after setting a new lifetime best of 20.46secs in Geneva on Saturday.
The 23-year-old Victoria Park and Tower Hamlets sprinter improved his personal best for a second time in five days following last week's 20.58secs win in Dessau, Germany and has now twice eclipsed the 'A' standard for the World Championships.
Fifton, from Bow, could now be included in the British squad for the European Team Championships on June 20-21 after replacing Marlon Devonish as Europe's No1 200m runner.
Devonish won the 'A' race in Geneva in 20.60secs, but Fifton produced a stunning performance to win the 'B' race and give the selectors a headache ahead of this month's successor to the European Cup in Leira, Portugal.
You may also want to watch:
Fifton also remains in contention for a place in the British 4x100m relay team after helping the GB second string - also including Craig Pickering, Harry Aikines-Aryeetey and England Under-23 100m champion James Dasaolu - run 38.55secs at the Swiss venue, the fastest time by a European quartet this year.
Perri Shakes-Drayton will also hope to be selected for Leira after winning the 400m hurdles in Geneva in 57.01secs.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning