Final rewards for Repton
- Credit: Archant
Bethnal Green club claims host of London titles
Repton Boxing Club launched a powerful assault on the England Schools’ title trail with a record-breaking 22 winners in the NE London championships,
The Bethnal Green club’s triumphs in the Ilford finals on Saturday included several winners who had won semi-final bouts two days earlier at Chingford.
These included Patrick Connors who eliminated Newham’s Harry Mehegan in the Class A 32.5kg semi-final then defeated Hamzah Sheriff (East London) in the final.
Also chalking up a double was Charlie Heckford, who won an all-Repton 31kg final when beating his Bethnal Green clubmate Kyle Quinn at Ilford.
You may also want to watch:
In their semi-final contests two days earlier Heckford defeated Hamzah Namajee (Fairbairn) and Quinn eliminated Newham’s Nelson Smith.
Joseph Inman was another Repton double winner with a victory over Mark Smith (Newham) in the Class B 43kg final after outpointing semi-final rival George Stewart (Hornchurch) at Waltham Forest on Thursday night.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 10 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
David Tierney (Repton) came through against clubmate Benny Eastwood to take the Class A 40kg award after beating Vince Zoard (Fairbairn) two days earlier.
Levi Dighton was a Class A 43kg winner for Repton, beating final rival Matthew Tillet (Newham) on Saturday while Fred Moss continued the Repton title march at 46kg when beating Sean Galbraith (West Ham).
Caleb Eastwood (Repton) ended the hopes of Lion club’s Gerard McDonagh in their Class A 52kg title decider.
And Adam Mohammed showed his speedy skills as he continued the Bethnal Green club’s success march at Class B 44.5kg level, defeating the willing George McGroary (Newham).
The points were in the balance in the Class B 50kg clash when Manny Decurdo (Repton) took a split verdict against Fairbairn’s Aryon Basi.
But two Repton hopes were eliminated in high-standard finals as Dagenham’s Tariq Ali outpointed Jimmy Lee and fast-moving Louis Horn (Gator) took a controversial split vote against Bill Oliphant.
Repton had no fewer than seven Class A walkover winners in Roberto Lacourt, Barney Docherty, Joseph King, Vincent Driscoll, Nathan Harris, John Hedges and Levi Lee.
And clubmates George Ellis, Harvey Smith and Dennis McCann, Jack Oliphant and Joseph Smith were all given byes in their Class B bouts, with all winners now looking forward to the London finals booked for the TA Centre Grove Park, Lewisham on the first weekend in May.