Five-star UEL leave Herts broken

UEL's footballers enjoyed another impressive win against Herts

UEL's footballers enjoyed another impressive win against Herts - Credit: Archant

Footballers ease through in cup

University of East London’s footballers continued their perfect start to the season with a 5-0 thrashing of Hertfordshire thirds in the BUCS Cup.

Johan Caney-Bryan fired a hat-trick in the rout, while Dillan Stephenson bagged a brace to send UEL comfortably through to the next round.

UEL went into the tie without injured duo Stefan Nielson and Jaden Osei-Bonsu, as Michael Ogboin and Shafik Walusimbi came into the starting line-up in the only changes from the 3-1 win over University College London seconds.

Herts were confident after their own unbeaten start to the season, having put six past UEL seconds the week before, and fielded the same line-up to try and cause an upset.

You may also want to watch:

But UEL came flying out of the blocks and dominated from the start with good one touch passes between Ousmane Kone and Siao Blackwood.

The visitors first chance came when Blackwood got the ball to Ogboin, who fired in a shot from 18 yards.

Most Read

And the deadlock was broken on 15 minutes, as the ball was rushed back to the Hertfordshire keeper and strong pressure from Caney-Bryan forced a heavy touch, before the UEL striker tapped the ball into an empty net.

UEL soon doubled their lead as Caney-Brown was brought down in the box and took the penalty himself, stroking the ball straight down the middle.

As half time approached, UEL continued to attack and a Blackwood cross found Nnamdi Harold–Egole, who saw his header ruled out for offside.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first as UEL applied pressure and Herts struggled to respond.

Both sides had to contend with a wet surface, but UEL pushed through the gears as Stephenson combined well with Stefan Wright on the right and thumped home from five yards.

UEL continued to dictate play and lovely one-touch passing between the midfield saw Caney-Bryan put through to slot past the keeper and complete his treble.

Yas Abidou brought on Sam Cassell for Ogboin and Mo Mirza for the injured Walusimbi and saw his side continue to retain possession comfortably.

A lack in concentration allowed the home side a free-kick, but nothing came off it as UEL’s wall held firm.

And there was still time for UEL to add a fifth as a Blackwood cross was flicked on by man of the match Cane-Bryan and fell to Stephenson’s feet as he tapped into an empty net.

UEL return to Beckton District Park next Wednesday (November 5) when they host Essex seconds.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus