Search

Faubert in the dark over Hammers future

PUBLISHED: 15:03 22 July 2009 | UPDATED: 14:36 05 October 2010

West Ham misfit Julien Faubert admits that he has no idea whether he still has a future at Upton Park despite returning to the club for pre-season training

By JONATHAN CLEGG

West Ham misfit Julien Faubert admits that he has no idea whether he still has a future at Upton Park despite returning to the club for pre-season training.

Former France international Faubert has struggled to make an impact since joining the Hammers in a £6.1m move from Bordeaux in August 2007 and was expected to leave the club this summer.

The 25-year-old was shipped out to Real Madrid on loan in January but was unable to secure a permanent switch to the Bernabeu and he is now back at Upton Park.

Yet despite starting both of West Ham's friendly matches, Faubert admits he is unsure whether he will still be at the club for the new Premier League season.

He said: "Maybe I will stay, maybe I won't.

"I will try to do my best and we'll see what happens."

Faubert has previously revealed his desire to quit West Ham after complaining that the club's top brass had no faith in him.

Yet the versatile defender now insists he is willing to remain with the Hammers and challenge for a first-team berth.

"I'm happy to be back at West Ham. Madrid was a good experience, a big club and the training was very good like it is here," Faubert said.

"But I am happy to come back to West Ham.

Faubert's future at West Ham could hinge on developments with Lucas Neill, who was this week reported to be closing on a deal with Turkish giants Galatasaray following a breakdown in talks with the Hammers.

Neill's departure would leave West Ham with a void at Faubert's preferred position of right-back.

And the former Bordeaux ace is eager to grasp his opportunity during pre-season in a bid to earn back his place in the starting line-up ahead of the new campaign.

"I am a little bit tired but I am ready to play," Faubert said.

"Pre-season is like this - we have to work and to push the level very high to get ready for the Premier League."

Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola has previously indicated that Faubert could remain at Upton Park, despite speculation linking the player with a move to German outfit Bayer Leverkusen.

Yet Zola is adamant that both Faubert and Calum Davenport, who was loaned to Sunderland in January following reports of a dressing-room bust-up with the Italian, must prove that they deserve a second opportunity at the club.

"We will see, obviously," Zola said. "We are building on what we had last year, so if they can fit in our team, they're welcome."

Faubert has already made a positive impression on the Hammers boss after shedding more than half a stone during the summer in a bid to improve his physical condition.

He said: I worked during my holiday and lost some weight so I can run a lot.

"I went to an Italian fitness centre where I lost four and a half kilos. After I came back I felt good.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 15:00

Boxing is back, after a lockdown lasting longer than expected, with some exciting championship clashes at the BT Studios in east London on Friday.

Yesterday, 14:41

West Ham United Women will have a new training base for the 2020-21 Super League season.

Yesterday, 11:09

West Ham United Women have announced extended contracts for five of their players leading into the 2020-21 season.

Yesterday, 08:00

With the Premier League back in action for the past couple of weeks after more than three months away due to the coronavirus pandemic, why not celebrate with another sports quiz?

Yesterday, 07:27

West Ham boss David Moyes warned his players they might have to fight all the way to the final kick of the season to preserve their Premier League status.

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Jonjo Shelvey denied West Ham a crucial victory in their fight for Premier League survival as Newcastle twice came from behind to snatch a point.

Sunday, July 5, 2020

David Moyes admits he cannot begin planning for next season until West Ham have secured their Premier League survival.

Saturday, July 4, 2020

England have named a 13-man squad for their long-awaited return to Test cricket against the West Indies next week, preferring Joe Denly to the uncapped Dan Lawrence and confirming Dom Bess as number one spinner.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The NHS Test and Trace service brings together testing, contact tracing and outbreak management into an end-to-end service to stop the spread of the virus and help us move out of lockdown.

The UK Government has launched a campaign to shine a light on businesses and employees across the country who have responded to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in remarkable ways and are now going back to business.

Veterans are providing vital skills across a range of projects to help the country tackle the current coronavirus outbreak. From helping to build Nightingale Hospitals to delivering essential supplies to those who are shielding, they have helped thousands of people across the country. We take a look at how one such veteran is helping out.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser