Search

Coronavirus: FIFA outlines pathway out of crisis

PUBLISHED: 07:00 26 June 2020 | UPDATED: 08:24 26 June 2020

FIFA President Gianni Infantino

FIFA President Gianni Infantino

PA Archive/PA Images

FIFA outlined its sporting and economic path out of the Covid-19 crisis on Thursday, although no date has yet been fixed for its expanded Club World Cup.

The competition was due to take place next summer in China but FIFA agreed to delay it when Euro 2020 and this summer’s Copa America were forced back to 2021 by the coronavirus pandemic.

A raft of decisions on the men’s international match calendar were taken by FIFA Council on Thursday along with confirmation of a 1.5 billion US dollar pandemic relief fund, but the precise date for the Club World Cup remains up in the air.

“The latest on the Club World Cup is that it will be the most fantastic competition ever to be organised, but we don’t know yet when,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said.

He said the competition would be “viable” and that initial commercial discussions on sponsorships pre-pandemic had been encouraging.

“It’s obvious it’s very big – just imagine the biggest clubs in the world playing in one place to crown the world champion, I think this is a very, very appealing event and I’m sure it will be very successful,” he added.

The decisions taken on Thursday included the extension of the international window in Europe by a day in October and November to allow for each country to play a ‘triple header’ of fixtures instead of the usual two.

The extension will enable the Euro 2020 play-offs – originally due to have been played in March – to be played in those windows, while also accommodating the 2020-21 Nations League.

The September international window will go ahead in Europe and South America as planned but has been postponed in Asia, Africa, Oceania and the CONCACAF zone, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean countries.

The June 2021 window will be extended by seven days in those regions to make up for the September 2020 postponement.

The intercontinental play-offs for the 2022 World Cups will now be played in June 2022 instead of March of that year, with the finals in Qatar being played in November and December.

Top players face an incredibly busy schedule ahead, with world players’ union FIFPRO having already warned players must be given at least a three-week break between the end of the delayed 2019-20 season and the start of the 2020-21 season.

Infantino said players’ well-being was a priority for FIFA, adding: “Health is important, and when we come to football the health of the players is important so we need to analyse this.

“We need to think, and I said this publicly as well, is there a maximum number of games that can be played, if you play one minute or 90 minutes, it’s also a difference.”

FIFA’s Covid-19 relief fund is made up of three stages. The first two stages relate to development grants under FIFA’s Forward 2.0 scheme, but as part of stage three each of the 211 national associations will receive one million US dollars as a Covid relief grant, split into two equal payments to be made in July of this year and January next year.

They will also receive a further 500,000 US dollars in July specifically to support girls’ and women’s football in that country.

Associations can then apply for interest-free loans of up to 35 per cent of the revenue declared in their most recent financial statements, with 500,000 US dollars the minimum loan size and five million US dollars set as the maximum.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 15:00

Boxing is back, after a lockdown lasting longer than expected, with some exciting championship clashes at the BT Studios in east London on Friday.

Yesterday, 14:41

West Ham United Women will have a new training base for the 2020-21 Super League season.

Yesterday, 11:09

West Ham United Women have announced extended contracts for five of their players leading into the 2020-21 season.

Yesterday, 08:00

With the Premier League back in action for the past couple of weeks after more than three months away due to the coronavirus pandemic, why not celebrate with another sports quiz?

Yesterday, 07:27

West Ham boss David Moyes warned his players they might have to fight all the way to the final kick of the season to preserve their Premier League status.

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Jonjo Shelvey denied West Ham a crucial victory in their fight for Premier League survival as Newcastle twice came from behind to snatch a point.

Sunday, July 5, 2020

David Moyes admits he cannot begin planning for next season until West Ham have secured their Premier League survival.

Saturday, July 4, 2020

England have named a 13-man squad for their long-awaited return to Test cricket against the West Indies next week, preferring Joe Denly to the uncapped Dan Lawrence and confirming Dom Bess as number one spinner.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The NHS Test and Trace service brings together testing, contact tracing and outbreak management into an end-to-end service to stop the spread of the virus and help us move out of lockdown.

The UK Government has launched a campaign to shine a light on businesses and employees across the country who have responded to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in remarkable ways and are now going back to business.

Veterans are providing vital skills across a range of projects to help the country tackle the current coronavirus outbreak. From helping to build Nightingale Hospitals to delivering essential supplies to those who are shielding, they have helped thousands of people across the country. We take a look at how one such veteran is helping out.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser