Search

Hammeris in crisis as Ferdinanrd goes

PUBLISHED: 17:24 28 August 2008 | UPDATED: 13:35 05 October 2010

By JONATHAN CLEGG WEST Ham were plunged into crisis this week as Alan Curbishley s position at Upton Park came under fresh scrutiny following a rift between the manager and the club s board of directors. The Hammers boss is on a collision course with cha

By JONATHAN CLEGG

WEST Ham were plunged into crisis this week as Alan Curbishley's position at Upton Park came under fresh scrutiny following a rift between the manager and the club's board of directors.

The Hammers boss is on a collision course with chairman Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson over the decision to sell Anton Ferdinand to Sunderland for £8million on Wednesday - despite Curbishley's insistence that he wanted to keep the player.

Gudmundsson is out to save money by trimming the wage bill at Upton Park and sanctioned the sale of Ferdinand against the wishes of the manager.

Curbishley last week publicly revealed that he wanted Ferdinand to remain at the club and insisted that he - and not the board - would make "the final decision on who gets sold".

Yet the club accepted a bid from Sunderland for the defender last weekend and Ferdinand completed his switch to the North East yesterday.

The 23-year-old becomes the fifth senior player to leave the Hammers this summer, following the departures of Freddie Ljungberg, Bobby Zamora, John Panstil and Nolberto Solano.

And Curbishley admits Ferdinand's exit has left his squad dangerously thin ahead of the close of the transfer window next week.

"We are thin on the ground. If we lose another defender we will have to react to that," said Curbishley.

The Hammers boss is eager to strengthen his depleted side by adding a number of new recruits in the coming days.

But Curbishley - who revealed earlier this month that he "only recommends" new signings to the West Ham board - admits that he has not been informed about the club's budget for new recruits.

He said: "I think we've been actively looking like everybody else but I think this week is notorious for things being done near the end of the window. We'll have to see what happens.

"I think we need to back up [the squad] if we can but it's very difficult. We'll see what this week brings.

"We're looking [for players] in all areas, in all three departments but I'll have to check [with the board over the transfer budget] once we sit down.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

09:15

The Twenty20 World Cup may not go ahead as the leader of the game in host nation Australia revealed the schedule for October and November is under a “very high risk”.

Yesterday, 16:30

British Rowing, British Cycling and British Athletics are teaming up with Blue Peter to row, cycle and run the distance between the Blue Peter studio in Salford and the Japan National Stadium in Tokyo in just 30 days.

Yesterday, 15:42

The 2019-20 Premier League season will restart on Wednesday June 17, with Arsenal visiting Manchester City and Aston Villa hosting Sheffield United.

Yesterday, 15:13

The European Tour will resume in July with a run of six tournaments over six weeks in the UK, but the Dutch Grand Prix has been put back until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Yesterday, 15:00

West Ham United’s Pablo Fornals revealed his relief about the return to training at Rush Green as the Premier League looks to restart next month.

Yesterday, 14:58

The England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have confirmed a further delay to the start of the professional domestic cricket season, with no play before August 1.

Yesterday, 12:00

With sport slowly starting to return across the globe during the coronavirus pandemic, why not test your sporting knowledge with another quiz?

Wed, 19:03

Eoin Morgan would be “surprised” if the T20 World Cup goes ahead as scheduled later this year but indicated any deferment will not shape his future as England captain.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The Government is encouraging people to stay alert as many take their first steps back to their workplace.

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

People working for a wide range of private companies have been standing side-by-side with public sector staff on the front line during the coronavirus outbreak.

Most read sport

Competitions

A competition for wannabe writers has been started to add works to Canary Wharf’s ‘short story’ dispensers which are temporarily locked up by the lock down.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser