Search

Hammers in crisis as Ferdinand goes

PUBLISHED: 17:28 28 August 2008 | UPDATED: 13:35 05 October 2010

By JONATHAN CLEGG WEST Ham were plunged into crisis this week as Alan Curbishley s position at Upton Park came under fresh scrutiny following a rift between the manager and the club s board of directors. The Hammers boss is on a collision course with cha

By JONATHAN CLEGG

WEST Ham were plunged into crisis this week as Alan Curbishley's position at Upton Park came under fresh scrutiny following a rift between the manager and the club's board of directors.

The Hammers boss is on a collision course with chairman Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson over the decision to sell Anton Ferdinand to Sunderland for £8million on Wednesday - despite Curbishley's insistence that he wanted to keep the player.

Gudmundsson is out to save money by trimming the wage bill at Upton Park and sanctioned the sale of Ferdinand against the wishes of the manager.

Curbishley last week publicly revealed that he wanted Ferdinand to remain at the club and insisted that he - and not the board - would make "the final decision on who gets sold".

Yet the club accepted a bid from Sunderland for the defender last weekend and Ferdinand completed his switch to the North East yesterday.

The 23-year-old becomes the fifth senior player to leave the Hammers this summer, following the departures of Freddie Ljungberg, Bobby Zamora, John Panstil and Nolberto Solano.

And Curbishley admits Ferdinand's exit has left his squad dangerously thin ahead of the close of the transfer window next week.

"We are thin on the ground. If we lose another defender we will have to react to that," said Curbishley.

The Hammers boss is eager to strengthen his depleted side by adding a number of new recruits in the coming days.

But Curbishley - who revealed earlier this month that he "only recommends" new signings to the West Ham board - admits that he has not been informed about the club's budget for new recruits.

He said: "I think we've been actively looking like everybody else but I think this week is notorious for things being done near the end of the window. We'll have to see what happens.

"I think we need to back up [the squad] if we can but it's very difficult. We'll see what this week brings.

"We're looking [for players] in all areas, in all three departments but I'll have to check [with the board over the transfer budget] once we sit down.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

41 minutes ago

Leyton Orient have announced their retained list with the League Two season coming to an end, despite final decisions on league positions next week.

17:45

England’s three-Test series against the West Indies will go ahead next month subject to government clearance, the England and Wales Cricket Board has confirmed.

16:00

West Ham United Women are teaming up with domestic abuse charities after a sharp rise in incidents during the coronavirus pandemic.

15:00

Tottenham Hotspur youngster George Marsh feels he is only just getting started after a positive first campaign in senior football on loan at Leyton Orient.

12:00

Bookmakers issued a mixed report as British racing returned from a 76-day absence, with most firms describing trade as brisk.

10:00

A group of leading British sporting identities have teamed up to help boost prostate cancer research.

09:00

Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane admits that he is surprised at how wide the sales of the Leyton Orient shirt he sponsors have spread, but is delighted for the club and the charities involved.

07:25

County cricket’s reduced pay deal has been extended to the end of July, as players continue to wait for their season to resume.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Schools across the country have been preparing for some of their pupils to return to the classroom. Here is how one group of schools has been getting ready to make sure pupils can be taught safely and get on with lessons.

The Government is encouraging people to stay alert as many take their first steps back to their workplace.

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser