Irons dismiss 'fire sale' talk
PUBLISHED: 10:16 13 November 2008 | UPDATED: 13:46 05 October 2010
WEST HAM chief executive Scott Duxbury has denied that there will be a January fire sale of the club s best players after Hammers owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson suffered a new financial setback this week. Gudmundsson s business empire has suffered a series
WEST HAM chief executive Scott Duxbury has denied that there will be a January fire sale of the club's best players after Hammers owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson suffered a new financial setback this week.
Gudmundsson's business empire has suffered a series of devastating blows in the global credit crunch, highlighted by last month's collapse of Landsbanki, the Icelandic bank in which he was the major shareholder.
The 67-year-old endured more economic woe when Samson Holdings, the holding company for shares in Landsbanki, filed for bankruptcy on Thursday, prompting vice-chairman Ausgeir Fridgeirsson to admit that Gudmundsson (pictured) is reviewing his position at the club.
The uncertainty over Gudmundsson's future has led to renewed speculation that Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola will be forced to sell players when the transfer window reopens in the new year.
But chief executive Duxbury has denied that the Italian will be told to offload his top players in January in a bid to boost the club's coffers.
He said: "It's business as usual. All talk of fire sales, and having to sell players for reasons other than football ones, is simply not true.
"Like all businesses we have been affected by the current economic climate, but we're in a strong position financially and are a well-run club.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.