Search

Irons poised to sign wonderkid Savio

PUBLISHED: 12:13 22 January 2009 | UPDATED: 13:59 05 October 2010

West Ham are close to a £10m deal for Brescia striker Savio Nsereko after indentifying the German sensation as a possible replacement for Craig Bellamy

By JONATHAN CLEGG

West Ham are close to a £10m deal for Brescia striker Savio Nsereko after indentifying the German sensation as a possible replacement for Craig Bellamy.

Bellamy finally left Upton Park this week in a £14m switch to Manchester City and the Hammers have moved quickly to bolster their squad following the forward's departure with a record bid for 19-year-old Savio.

Technical director Gianluca Nani flew out to Italy on Tuesday in a bid to complete a deal for the Germany Under-19 international, who is highly rated by manager Gianfranco Zola.

Despite facing interest from rival clubs in Italy, including Juventus and Napoli, West Ham are optimistic of winning the race for Savio's signature because of Nani's relationship with the Uganda-born teenager.

The teenager moved to Italy from 1860 Munich when Nani occupied the general manager's position at Brescia.

Savio's agent Dieter Heimen this week confirmed that the Hammers are leading the race for the forward, who was named as the most outstanding player at last year's European Under-19 Championships.

"There are a few clubs currently knocking on the door and asking about his situation and West Ham is one of them," said Heimen.

"The former general manager of Brescia now works at West Ham and knows him."

Hammers boss Zola will have wasted little time in splashing the cash from Bellamy's sale if the club complete a deal for Savio this week.

The Italian revealed that he was given assurances by the club's board that the money received for Bellamy would be made available for reinforcements.

Zola said: "I was told I will get the money. We are looking for a replacement and we will find something."

West Ham were also in talks with another young striker, Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, with a view to taking the 23-year-old on loan from Fiorentina, but their interest ended when Bologna signed the former Italy Under-21 international on Tuesday.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

56 minutes ago

Leyton Orient chief executive Danny Macklin heaped praise on Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane by terming him as a ‘first-class individual’

07:35

The International Cricket Council (ICC)’s recommendation of a temporary ban on using saliva to shine the ball could hand batsmen a significant advantage, claims Australia paceman Mitchell Starc.

Yesterday, 16:02

The 2019-20 Women’s Super League season has been brought to an end with immediate effect.

Yesterday, 13:00

Premier League clubs will vote on proposals for a return to contact training on Wednesday.

Yesterday, 12:00

With sport still shut down across most of the globe due to the coronavirus pandemic, why not test your sporting knowledge with another quiz?

Yesterday, 08:02

Professional sport has nudged a further step closer to a resumption after the government published ‘stage two’ of its guidance which enables competitive and close-contact training.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

England Boxing is set to launch a series of free 30-minute online mental health awareness sessions called ‘Box In Mind Bitesize’.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Alan Martin contacted the sports desk with memories of when Leyton Orient met Arsenal in 1952.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

People working for a wide range of private companies have been standing side-by-side with public sector staff on the front line during the coronavirus outbreak.

The United Kingdom is pulling together as one, with people from all regions and all four nations of the country helping each other through the coronavirus pandemic.

Most read sport

Competitions

A competition for wannabe writers has been started to add works to Canary Wharf’s ‘short story’ dispensers which are temporarily locked up by the lock down.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser