Search

Kevin Mitchell is ready to take on the world

PUBLISHED: 10:47 10 December 2009 | UPDATED: 15:22 05 October 2010

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 05:  Kevin Mitchell (L) and Breidis Prescott attack each other during their WBO intercontinental fight on December 5, 2009 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.  (Photo by John Gichigi/Getty Images)

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 05: Kevin Mitchell (L) and Breidis Prescott attack each other during their WBO intercontinental fight on December 5, 2009 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by John Gichigi/Getty Images)

2009 Getty Images

Kevin Mitchell insists he is ready to take on the world after his best-ever display, beating Breidis Prescott

Kevin Mitchell insists he is ready to take on the world after his best-ever display.

The east London man clearly outpointed Colombian big-hitter Breidis Prescott in an eliminator for the WBO lightweight crown over 12 rounds at the Newcastle Metro Radio Arena on Saturday night.

Big-punching Prescott, who knocked out Amir Khan in 54 seconds last year, was seen as a real dangerman but 'Mighty Mitch' showed his superior skills to frustrate his opponent.

The 25-year-old won the fight by wide margins on all three judges' scorecards, which read 119-110, 118-111, 117-111 in his favour.

"A lot of people thought I was wrong to take the fight and risk my unbeaten record against a big puncher like Prescott," said Mitchell this week.

"But I wanted to show I was world class by beating him - and I made it an easy fight by sticking to my boxing,"

He was quick to praise father-and son training duo Jimmy and Mark Tibbs, after joining their training camp for the first time at east London's TKO gym.

"We worked out a game plan - and it went like a dream," Mitchell said.

"I wanted to try for a knockout a few times when I knew Prescott was tiring - but all the time Jimmy was telling me in the corner: 'Don't get involved, you are boxing his head off."

The former British and Commonwealth super-featherweight champion, was unbeaten in 29 fights going into the contest, but many doubted the wisdom of him moving up a weight division to fight the only man to beat Khan.

"Now I want to step up to face some more big name fighters," he added.

"I think I showed that I am now ready for the best out there."

He claimed the fringe WBO intercontinental lightweight crown on the undercard of the Amir Khan v Dmitriy Salita promotion and could now look forward to a 2010 match with another dangerous rival, Australian banger Michael Katsidis, the WBO's 'interim' champion.

'Mitch' impressed the 10,000 fans at the Metro Radio Arena as he forgot his all-out aggression to stay patient, picking his shots to completely outclass the feared Prescott and made his rival look amateurish at times.

Mitchell, who was giving away four inches in height, landed with a few solid jabs and left hooks in the early rounds, but for the most part was happy to stay on the back foot as his tiring rival showed signs of frustration, looking for gaps in Mitchell's defence that just were not there.

His shots were sharp enough to inflict facial damage on the Colombian before the halfway mark as Prescott was reduced to throwing ambitious rights, which Mitchell easily evaded.

Prescott looked a well-beaten fighter as Mitchell continued to use his impressive lateral movement to great effect in the final stages and stayed out of harm's way, avoiding Prescott's increasingly desperate lunges to finish off a punch-perfect display.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News

16:00

The Lewin Sports Injury Clinic is marking its first year of business – and it’s been a bizarre time because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

10:38

In-form West Ham forward Michail Antonio has been ruled out of Saturday’s trip to Liverpool, but David Moyes is hopeful he will not be missing for too long.

10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton admits they’re missing special moments without fans in the ground as they head into another hectic week.

Yesterday, 13:00

Leyton Orient captain Jobi McAnuff has backed English Football League chairman Rick Parry’s combative letter to the Government and revealed the toll on players caused by the continued absence of fans from matches.

Wed, 16:00

London Lions have added Great Britain centre Fahro Alihodzic to their roster as they approach the start of the domestic season and look to January’s FIBA Eurocup campaign.

Wed, 15:00

A programme to get more youngsters involved in outdoor sport is being started at Mile End stadium in the search for “the hockey stars of tomorrow”.

Wed, 13:00

West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye is feeling optimistic under manager David Moyes.

Wed, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton was ‘disappointed’ that his side failed to push on after early lead as they drew 1-1 with Exeter City.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Did you know? UCAS gets almost 3 million university applications from around 700,000 people each year. That’s a lot of competition. So how can your son or daughter stand out? 

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser