Search

Alberto Cavasin happy to have whole week of training with Leyton Orient squad ahead of Luton Town clash

PUBLISHED: 13:30 10 October 2016

Leyton Orient manager Alberto Cavasin urges his team on from the touchline (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient manager Alberto Cavasin urges his team on from the touchline (pic: Simon O'Connor).

07958 573219 simon.oconnor@virgin.net

Italian revealed O’s have two solutions to ensure they stop conceding goals from set pieces after Saturday’s loss to Portsmouth

Leyton Orient manager Alberto Cavasin knows he has to put square pegs into round holes at the moment.

With vice-skipper Liam Kelly stretched off early on in the 1-0 defeat to Portsmouth, the Italian played Gavin Massey and Jens Janse in the centre of midfield.

Massey is traditionally a winger and Janse has previously featured at right-back and right midfield since joining O’s.

After the break Alan Dunne, usually a full-back or central defender, played in the middle with Robbie Weir suspended and Nigel Atangana still struggling with a groin/hip flexor injury.

“We will have to make up a midfield against Luton Town,” said Cavasin via a translator last weekend.

“We were really close with Nigel’s total recovery, but before Saturday he was still not moving or training for 15 days. It is likely he will need a bit more time to gradually recover.”

The Italian is happy to have a whole week on the training ground, though, ahead of facing the Hatters next.

And the 60-year-old revealed he’ll be trying to make his team hard to breakdown and beat at Brisbane Road.

Cavasin added: “I have a whole week to work for Luton. We need to be compact to be ready for this important match.

“We need to have a very compact team that can move with its own manoeuvres, but has to be very structured in the way it plays football.”

The former Fiorentina boss will aim to spend more time working on set pieces during training this week.

Portsmouth’s Christian Burgess scored the only goal of the game on Saturday after heading home Carl Baker’s corner.

It is not the first time Orient have conceded from a set piece this season and it was a problem during the 2015/16 campaign.

Cavasin said: “I’ll have to talk with all of my team. There are only two solutions. We try to improve on man-to-man marking or play in a zone.”

Zonal marking failed to work under Fabio Liverani and many O’s fans will hope the current Italian manager decides to stick with marking players from set pieces.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 17:04

League Two: Stevenage 0 Leyton Orient 2

Premier League: West Ham United 1 Manchester City 1

Fri, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has revealed he spoke with former O’s striker and now Stevenage boss Alex Revell frequently during the original Covid-19 lockdown as they now go head-to-head this weekend.

Wed, 14:00

Sporting Bengal United manager Imrul Gazi is feeling confident after two big wins to correct their slow start to the new Essex Senior League season.

Wed, 12:00

Wapping men secured a 4-2 victory over Bromley and Beckenham to make it three consecutive wins in the Conference East League.

Wed, 09:27

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton was ‘pleased’ for his squad to bounce back to winning ways as they put in a much-better team performance.

Tue, 22:36

League Two: Tranmere Rovers 0 Leyton Orient 1

Tue, 15:00

West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye gives his views on the club’s comeback away to rivals Tottenham and believes Fulham is the next big test with Manchester City and Liverpool on the horizon.

PROMOTED CONTENT

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

The way the UK does business with Europe changes from January 1, heralding a new start for the small and medium-sized companies. Let’s get businesses ready to take advantage of new opportunities...

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser