Carlisle stun Orient and end their unbeaten home record

PUBLISHED: 21:40 29 September 2015 | UPDATED: 21:40 29 September 2015

Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor)

Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor)

Simon O'Connor Photography

Sky Bet League Two: Leyton Orient 1 Carlisle United 2

Leyton Orient’s unbeaten home record was ended as Carlisle United scored twice in the second half to earn all three points at Brisbane Road.

Ian Hendon’s team had dominated the first half and delivered numerous balls into the box, but failed to find the net.

The Cumbrians stunned them early in the second period by taking the lead, but O’s captain Mathieu Baudry equalised.

Unfortunately Orient were unable to push on and get a second goal and instead they conceded again to lose for just the second time this season.

Hendon named the same starting team for the visit of Carlisle that began the match at Northampton Town last weekend.

The only change he made to the match day squad was youngster Montel Agyemang replacing Paul McCallum, who missed out with a knee injury that he sustained against the Cobblers.

Former Orient forward Jabo Ibehre missed out for the Cumbrians with a hamstring injury and was therefore denied a reunion against his old club.

It was Carlisle who got the game underway and they won a corner kick inside the opening 30 seconds, but the hosts were able to clear and get into their stride.

The O’s might have taken the lead after three minutes when Frazer Shaw played an intelligent forward ball and Bradley Pritchard was able to control, but scuffed wide from close range when he had good options in the centre.

Hendon’s men built on that start by pressing the visitors intensely inside the opening 10 minutes and getting plenty of possession in the final third.

In the 13th minute the away side had a good chance to test the home team when Derek Asamoah was hauled down by Connor Essam near the corner flag.

Danny Grainger stood over the free kick and whipped it towards the Orient goal, but Alex Cisak got a strong hand to it and the ball was cleared.

Shaw kept on looking a threat, though, and shortly afterwards crossed in for Ollie Palmer, but Carlisle defender Macaulay Gillesphey was able to put him off and the ball sat up nicely for away custodian Mark Gillespie to gratefully gather.

The hosts were dominating possession and Jack Payne fizzed an effort wide in the 22nd minute following another dangerous ball into the box, this time from Sean Clohessy.

Midway from the half Shaw was booked for fouling Asamoah and Grainger whipped another ball into the O’s area, but it was headed harmlessly wide.

On the half an hour mark Clohessy got some more space down the right and crossed in for Dean Cox. He smartly knocked down for Jay Simpson, but Jason Kennedy got back to help deflect it over the bar.

It was another decent move by Hendon’s side, but they were lacking that killer touch in the final third and frustration was growing.

That was perfectly displayed in the 39th minute when Baudry’s ball over the top, was headed up in the air and controlled by Clohessy in the box.

He had options, but his cut back was intercepted by a Carlisle rival and the chance went and was met by groans from the home supporters.

Cox nearly opened the scoring two minutes before the break when another ball into the box failed to find an Orient player. It was headed out to the diminutive midfielder and he tried his lucky from at least 30-yards-out, but it hit the crossbar and bounced over.

It was the closest either side had gone to breaking the deadlock and moments later Simpson tried his lucky, but curled wide. The O’s were huffing and puffing, but struggling to find the net again.

One minute of stoppage time was added on at Brisbane Road, but no more chances could be created by either side and it remained goalless at half time.

The hosts had an early opportunity to test the Carlisle stopper immediately after the break when they were awarded a free kick.

Cox stepped up and brilliantly curled it over the wall, but hit the crossbar for a second time and the Cumbrians survived, although away goalkeeper Gillespie did appear to get injured trying to save the effort, but he was fine to continue.

Orient went close again in the 54th minute when Payne won the ball on the edge of the area, Simpson passed it out to Sammy Moore and his low effort trickled wide.

A minute later and they went inches away from opening the scoring when Payne picked up the ball in midfield, crossed into the box and Palmer headed goalwards.

His effort hit the post and bounced perfectly into the arms of Grainger in the Carlisle goal, much to the frustration of the home fans.

Another chance went begging just past the hour mark when smart feet by Moore allowed Clohessy to charge forward and pick out Simpson, but he headed over the crossbar.

Seconds later and Orient were punished when Gary Dicker passed to Asamoah, who had run free and he took the ball into the box and fired under Cisak to give the visitors the lead in the 62nd minute.

It was completely against the run of play, but the hosts were able to get back on level terms two minutes later when Cox crossed into the box and Baudry powered a header past Grainger.

That was the least Hendon’s side had deserved and they now needed to go on and get a second, but it was the visitors that went close in the 70th minute when Luke Joyce picked out Asamoah, but he got his header all wrong.

Referee Charles Breakspear then sent O’s assistant Andy Hessenthaler and Carlisle boss Keith Curle to the stands afterwards.

But worst was to come for the home team than their number two getting sent away from the touchline as the Cumbrians went back ahead with 17 minutes left.

Grainger’s centre was met by Antony Sweeney, his first effort was blocked by Essam, but it came back to Sweeney and he volleyed past Cisak.

Hendon called for Blair Turgott two minutes later with Moore the man to make way as Orient searched to find an equaliser.

Simpson went close with nine minutes left, but Michael Raynes deflected his effort for a corner and the resulting set piece came to nothing.

In the 84th minute a Cox free kick was punched by Grainger out to Payne on the edge, he volleyed goalwards, but it sailed over the bar and more seconds ticked away.

Scott Kashket was introduced for Shaw minutes later, but with only four minutes left he had little time to make an impact.

The fourth official confirmed that four minutes of stoppage time would be added on at Brisbane Road and like at Northampton, Orient needed late drama.

Within 90 seconds they had it, Cox picked out Simpson and he passed back to Turgott, who fired over the crossbar from inside the area.

That was the chance Hendon’s men needed, but they couldn’t take it. Was one final chance still to come for the hosts? Unfortunately their wasn’t.

Orient were beaten for the second time this season and as a result dropped to fifth in the table.

Leyton Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Baudry, Essam, Shaw (Kashket 86), Payne, Pritchard, Moore (Turgott 75), Cox, Simpson, Palmer.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Dunne, James, Moncur, Agyemang.

Carlisle United: Gillespie, Miller, Raynes, Gillesphey, McQueen, Dicker, Joyce, Grainger, Kennedy (Archibald-Henville 90), Sweeney (Atkinson 90), Asamoah (Gilliead 87).

Unused substitutes: Hanford, Hery, Balanta, Osei.

Attendance: 4,408 (284 Carlisle United supporters)

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News

Fri, 16:00

The Lewin Sports Injury Clinic is marking its first year of business – and it’s been a bizarre time because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Fri, 10:38

In-form West Ham forward Michail Antonio has been ruled out of Saturday’s trip to Liverpool, but David Moyes is hopeful he will not be missing for too long.

Fri, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton admits they’re missing special moments without fans in the ground as they head into another hectic week.

Thu, 13:00

Leyton Orient captain Jobi McAnuff has backed English Football League chairman Rick Parry’s combative letter to the Government and revealed the toll on players caused by the continued absence of fans from matches.

Wed, 16:00

London Lions have added Great Britain centre Fahro Alihodzic to their roster as they approach the start of the domestic season and look to January’s FIBA Eurocup campaign.

Wed, 15:00

A programme to get more youngsters involved in outdoor sport is being started at Mile End stadium in the search for “the hockey stars of tomorrow”.

Wed, 13:00

West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye is feeling optimistic under manager David Moyes.


Did you know? UCAS gets almost 3 million university applications from around 700,000 people each year. That’s a lot of competition. So how can your son or daughter stand out? 

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser