Search

Confirmation Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti will not be extradited to Albania

PUBLISHED: 15:30 20 July 2016

Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti (centre) at Oxford United last season. Pic: SIMON O'CONNOR

Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti (centre) at Oxford United last season. Pic: SIMON O'CONNOR

07958 573219 simon.oconnor@virgin.net

Italian pleased battle that lasted over a year has finally come to a positive conclusion for the Orient president

The Government of Albania has abandoned its efforts to have Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti extradited it was revealed this afternoon.

The decision announced at Westminster Magistrates Court today (Wednesday) formally ends more than a year of strong pressure for Mr Becchetti.

Earlier this month a hearing in Westminster Magistrates Court found that document submitted by the Albanian Government in support of its extradition case was “totally misleading.”

The document made a number of false statements about Albanian law, including that the extradition request could not be withdrawn, and even that the Minister would face “sanctions” in Albania if he withdrew the request.

The judge, District Judge Nina Tempia, found these claims to be untrue. She found that there had been an attempted “manipulation and usurpation” of the court’s process by the Albanian Government and ruled that the proceedings against Mr Becchetti be stayed.

The Albanian Government initially stated it would appeal the decision to stay proceedings. However, it announced today no appeal would be lodged.

Speaking after the Albanian Government’s decision was announced in court, Mr Becchetti said: “Finally after more than a year, and after a lengthy legal fight against the unwarranted persecution of me and my employees, we have the first just decision made by the Albanian Government.

“Not to appeal the court’s decision and to end this politically motivated action, was the minimum we expected. There should now be immediate end to all other proceedings against me in Albania that remain unresolved.”

Julian Knowles QC, who represented Mr Becchetti, said the document’s contents meant that “Albania had sought to lie to this court.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 17:04

League Two: Stevenage 0 Leyton Orient 2

Premier League: West Ham United 1 Manchester City 1

Fri, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has revealed he spoke with former O’s striker and now Stevenage boss Alex Revell frequently during the original Covid-19 lockdown as they now go head-to-head this weekend.

Wed, 14:00

Sporting Bengal United manager Imrul Gazi is feeling confident after two big wins to correct their slow start to the new Essex Senior League season.

Wed, 12:00

Wapping men secured a 4-2 victory over Bromley and Beckenham to make it three consecutive wins in the Conference East League.

Wed, 09:27

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton was ‘pleased’ for his squad to bounce back to winning ways as they put in a much-better team performance.

Tue, 22:36

League Two: Tranmere Rovers 0 Leyton Orient 1

Tue, 15:00

West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye gives his views on the club’s comeback away to rivals Tottenham and believes Fulham is the next big test with Manchester City and Liverpool on the horizon.

PROMOTED CONTENT

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

The way the UK does business with Europe changes from January 1, heralding a new start for the small and medium-sized companies. Let’s get businesses ready to take advantage of new opportunities...

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser