Search

Could ex-Leyton Orient attacker Steven Alzate make Brighton & Hove Albion debut before season’s up?

PUBLISHED: 15:00 31 January 2018

Steven Alzate controls the ball for Leyton Orient during a home match with Grimsby Town last season (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Steven Alzate controls the ball for Leyton Orient during a home match with Grimsby Town last season (pic: Simon O'Connor).

07958 573219 simon.oconnor@virgin.net

The 19-year-old, who spent five years at O’s, was part of the Seagulls squad which travelled to Middlesbrough on Saturday, but didn’t make the bench

Former Leyton Orient youngster Steven Alzate could well make his Brighton & Hove Albion debut before the end of the season.

The 19-year-old joined the Seagulls on July 31 for an undisclosed fee after catching the eye during the O’s relegation from League Two.

Alzate, an Orient academy graduate, only signed his first professional deal with the then-League Two club in September 2016 and made his first-team debut five months later.

Having joined the club at under-13 level, the staff at Brisbane Road knew all about the talent on their books and it was clear to everyone else as soon as he entered the pitch for his maiden Football League appearance.

Despite coming on at Broadhall Way with the O’s 4-1 down to Stevenage, Alzate played with an assurance and class expected of a senior professional.

The Orient manager at the time, Danny Webb, handed the Londoner his full debut just days later on March 4 at Newport County.

And despite the Rodney Parade pitch being in a poor condition, Alzate and several of O’s other teenagers shone during a stunning 4-0 victory.

It took Alzate just eight minutes to score at Newport and he continued to run the show throughout the game.

He would go on to play 12 times in League Two for Orient, but was unable to prevent the club suffering relegation to the National League.

Football League scouts had already been alerted to Alzate’s potential by this point and it was therefore no surprise to see Brighton secure his signature last summer.

Since linking up with the Seagulls under-23 team, the Camden-born footballer has caught the eye.

Alzate has played in two Football League Trophy games for Brighton’s under-23s and scored in a penalty shoot-out at Oxford United after the match ended 2-2.

The ex-Orient youngster has found the net a number of times already for his new club with his last strike coming at Norwich City on December 18 – a Premier League 2 game where another former O’s attacker, Tristian Abrahams, played.

Last Tuesday the Brighton teenager claimed another assist as his side beat Whitehawk 3-1 in the Sussex Senior Cup.

It led to Alzate travelling with the Seagulls first-team to Middlesbrough for their fourth-round FA Cup tie on Saturday.

Although the one-time Orient youngster wasn’t selected as part of the match day squad at the Riverside Stadium, he appears to be getting closer to featuring under Chris Hughton.

With Brighton earning a home tie with Coventry City in the FA Cup fifth-round draw on Monday, Alzate has a decent chance of potentially making it on the bench for the clash with the Sky Blues on February 17.

Michael Collins, who played in 11 of Alzate’s 12 games for O’s, is confident the teen will make an impact at Falmer Stadium.

He said: “I’m really pleased for Steven and there are a few lads that are still at Leyton Orient like him. One of the things I did notice there was the youth at the club are very strong.

“I know they are quite lucky to have a big pool in London to choose from, but that should take nothing away from the work done within the academy.

“It is bearing fruit now with so many coming through over the last couple of years and with Steven you could see straight away the kid was special.

“He showed no fear and has great ability. I mentioned him to one or two people in football circles and said there is a kid at Leyton Orient who you want to keep an eye on and he has gone to Brighton, so credit to him.

“To be honest I don’t think it will be long before he is fighting his way into their first-team or a club in the Championship takes him on loan and he is kicking on again.

“He really is a great kid with a great attitude and I wish him nothing but the best because when you see a kid come through who gives everything on a daily basis you want nothing but the best for them and I’m pleased he got the move.

“Hopefully Leyton Orient got their share out of it as well and it was good for them and good for everyone involved really.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 16:15

Jamie Porter claimed his first wicket of the match in a truncated session of play that allowed just 10.5 overs of play in the afternoon session shoehorned in between rain.

Yesterday, 13:13

Sam Cook collected two wickets for Essex in their Bob Willis Trophy shoot-out with Somerset before the West Country outfit responded to reach the lunch interval on 90 for 3.

Yesterday, 10:21

London Lions suffered FIBA Basketball Champions League heartbreak as they missed out on the next stage with a narrow 77-73 defeat to Lithuanian side Neptunas Klaipeda in the first qualifying round.

Yesterday, 10:00

Essex captain Tom Westley believes staging the Bob Willis Trophy final against Somerset on neutral ground, negating the home benefits of Chelmsford and Taunton to the protagonists, will provide the perfect setting to decide the red-ball champions of a truncated season.

Tue, 19:59

West Ham confirmed that David Moyes, Issa Diop and Josh Cullen returned positive tests for COVID-19.

Tue, 16:00

Leyton Orient’s third round Carabao Cup clash with Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur is not taking place this evening as scheduled.
Discussions are ongoing between the relevant stakeholders in regards to the implications of the fixture not taking place tonight and a further update will be provided in due course.
Leyton Orient, the EFL and the relevant authorities are conducting a thorough review of the club’s covid-19 secure procedures with the view to re-opening the stadium and training ground as soon as possible.

Tue, 12:46

Leyton Orient chairman Nigel Travis expects the Carabao Cup fixture against Tottenham Hotspur to be replayed after the club revealed a number of their first-team squad had tested positive for COVID-19 on the eve of their clash with Spurs.

PROMOTED CONTENT

For the past six months, employers and employees have been adapting to ways of working from home. The green light has now been given to many people to go back to offices safely. From flexible hours and staggered starting times to deep cleaning, we’re getting ready for new ways of working.

School’s in for summer – and beyond – with health experts agreeing that pupils safely returning to their studies is “positively” the right thing to do. It’s vital for all children’s welfare, not just in terms of students’ future education but also mental and physical well-being, as well as social interaction of classmates.

The NHS Test and Trace system provides protection for family, friends, colleagues and the community, and is here to keep all of us safe and allow us to enjoy summer safely. We take a look at how the system is working and talk to one member of the thousands of team members about her experiences.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser