Grimsby Town sink Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road to push Danny Webb’s team closer to relegation

PUBLISHED: 17:06 11 March 2017 | UPDATED: 17:06 11 March 2017

Leyton Orient manager Danny Webb shows his frustration on the touchline (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient manager Danny Webb shows his frustration on the touchline (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Simon O'Connor Photography

Sky Bet League Two: Leyton Orient 0 Grimsby Town 3

Leyton Orient’s terrible form at Brisbane Road continued as Grimsby Town proved too strong for Danny Webb’s young side in the end.

The Mariners punched poor defending by the O’s to claim a 3-0 win and leave the east Londoners deep in trouble.

Orient are now six points from safety in League Two with games running out for Webb and his inexperienced side.

O’s were unchanged following the 4-0 win at Newport County last weekend, but Webb had Michael Clark, Nigel Atangana, Rowan Liburd back on the bench.

Paul McCallum and Sammy Moore missed out with knee problems while Gavin Massey and Liam Kelly remain suspended.

Grimsby had several problems before the match as they didn’t arrive at the ground until five minutes past two.

It was far from ideal preparation for the Mariners, who also failed to list a substitute goalkeeper on the bench.

Before kick-off it was revealed O’s physio Peter Webb would be leaving the club after receiving an offer from elsewhere.

It was another negative for Orient in addition to the fact they had to produce only a 16-page matchday programme.

Despite all the problems off the field, the home fans turned out in force once again for the visit of Grimsby.

There was a great atmosphere inside Brisbane Road with the Mariners bringing plenty of supporters down to London.

Orient got proceedings underway with the South Stand very vocal from the off, but the hosts had a brief scare after two minutes.

Charlie Grainger took his time with a long kick and Grimsby’s Sam Jones blocked his attempted clearance.

Fortunately the O’s goalkeeper was able to gather the loose ball and Webb’s team could look to get on the front foot.

But it wasn’t long before the Mariners took the lead in the sixth minute after some slack defending by the hosts.

Myles Judd failed to close Danny Andrew down quick enough and his cross was nodded in by Jones at the back post.

It was a terrible start for Orient and only enabled the travelling Grimsby fans to sing even louder.

Webb’s team did respond positively with Kennedy delivering a dangerous cross into the area, which James McKeown punched clear in the 13th minute.

Orient got more joy down the left three minutes later as Sandro Semedo ran at his opponent and looked to find a team-mate, but saw his centre cleared.

The O’s were slowly building some momentum with Freddy Moncur buzzing around in midfield and winning the ball back several times.

His midfield partner, Michael Collins, almost created an opening for Josh Koroma soon after, but the attacker was flagged for offside.

There was another delay in the 28th minute as Kennedy went down and needed some treatment from physio Webb.

In between the breaks, Orient were producing some good football, but hadn’t tested McKeown significantly yet.

Steven Alzate tried his luck in the 36th minute, although his effort was blocked and Moncur drilled wide from 25-yards.

More pressure from the O’s followed as Collins free kick was picked up by Tom Parkes and his low centre was cleared.

Semedo kept the ball alive and forced a corner, but Grimsby defended well again and it remained 1-0 at Brisbane Road.

A fine piece of battling by Koroma a minute before the break got the Orient fans on their feet and singing as one.

Three minutes of stoppage time were added on at the end of the first half, but it was the visitors who went closest to scoring again.

Alzate was harshly adjudged to have committed a foul around 25-yards-out and Dominic Vose forced Grainger to tip his effort wide.

Kennedy needed more treatment during stoppage time before eventually the half time whistle occurred from referee Lee Swabey.

There was a slight delay to the start of the second period before the referees took their time coming out.

Both teams were ready to go, but had to wait over a minute for the officials to appear, but eventually play got underway.

Orient started with purpose and intent and Moncur won a free kick in a good position in the 50th minute.

Kennedy and Nicky Hunt stood over the set-piece and the latter curled an effort over the crossbar.

Grimsby nearly doubled their lead just past the hour mark, though, when the visitors broke the offside trap.

Calum Dyson raced through on goal, but Myles Judd came across well before Hunt made a good covering tackle.

With the game petering out, Webb introduced Tristan Abrahams for his home debut in place of Dalby.

The O’s were hoping to finish the game strongly with 20 minutes to go, but disaster then struck for the hosts.

Grimsby substitute Akwasi Asante did well on the right and ghosted past Judd before cutting back for Jones.

Despite Grainger making a great save to deny the Mariners forward, the rebound hit Kennedy and bounced into the net.

It was a devastating blow for Orient and with Notts County beating Hartlepool United, the east Londoners were about to be six points from safety.

Koroma went close with 10 minutes remaining, as he turned his opponent twice before curling over from 25-yards.

There was another delay in play with eight minutes remaining when Hunt needed some treatment after a getting a knock.

Bizarrely O’s physio Webb was now sitting behind the dug-out and Orient had very strangely replaced their physio during the match.

When play did get underway the east Londoners pushed for a way back into the game with Koroma hitting the side netting.

More neat football minutes later provided Judd with a chance to pick out a team-mate, but his cross was easy for McKeown.

And Grimsby then added a third in the 87th minute when Craig Disley brilliantly flicked into Scott Vernon’s path and he volleyed past Grainger.

The Orient goalkeeper and captain Hunt had both appeared in two minds about who should go for the ball and the end result was an away goal.

Five minutes of stoppage time were added on at the end of the 90 minutes and a large amount of the O’s fans had departed already.

Kennedy nearly pulled one back with virtually the last kick of the game, but his long range effort smashed the post.

Referee Swabey blew the full time whistle soon after to hand Orient another poor result at Brisbane Road.

They remain 23rd in the table and need to get some type of result at Accrington Stanley on Tuesday night.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Judd, Hunt, Parkes, Kennedy; Alzate, Moncur, Collins, Semedo; Koroma, Dalby (Abrahams 69).

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Atangana, Mezague, Liburd, Ochieng, Clark.

Grimsby Town: McKeown; Mills, Pearson, Collins, Andrew; Bolarinwa (Osborne 56), Comley, Disley, Vose; Jones (Vernon 82), Dyson (Asante 65)

Unused substitutes: Davies, Boyce, Yussuf, Maxwell.

Attendance: 5,288 (1,086 Grimsby Town supporters).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News


Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton is hoping to be able to stick with a similar line-up for the Bradford City clash on the back of a 3-0 win over Harrogate Town.


West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye is now starting to believe that the Hammers can enjoy a successful season in the Premier League.

Yesterday, 16:31

Spectators are set to return to sports venues next month as coronavirus restrictions are eased in areas with lower infection rates.

Yesterday, 12:00

London Lions became the first team to qualify for the quarter-finals of the BBL Cup beating the Leicester Riders in fine fashion, 98-89 at the Copper Box.

Yesterday, 08:26

London Lions avenged a close overtime defeat in London a few weeks ago with a crushing defeat of the Newcastle Eagles 79-99.

Sunday, November 22, 2020

West Ham boss David Moyes was keeping his feet on the ground after his side’s 1-0 win at Premier League strugglers Sheffield United.

Sunday, November 22, 2020

A rare Premier League goal for Sebastien Haller gave West Ham victory at Bramall Lane and piled more misery on bottom club Sheffield United.


Let’s get physical! One of the dangers of lockdown is to be lulled into laziness, watching too many box sets, and eating and drinking too much, but there is no excuse to not start exercising to get fit and stay healthy.

UK Government Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced extra measures to support workers and businesses throughout winter, including a furlough scheme extension paying 80 per cent of staff wages.

The way the UK does business with Europe changes from January 1, heralding a new start. All companies that trade with the EU need to act now to make sure they are set to go.

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser