Search

Hendon happy with the progress O’s are making

PUBLISHED: 11:00 31 July 2015

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO).

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO).

28/07/2015 Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR, contact@tgsphoto.co.uk

Brisbane Road boss delighted with squad and how they are starting to look like a team

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon is enjoying the football his side are producing after more encouraging pre-season wins this week.

The O’s defeated League One side Colchester United 3-0 at the Weston Homes Community Stadium on Saturday and followed that with a 4-0 victory against National League Woking at Kingfield Stadium on Tuesday.

Optimism is building ahead of the League Two opener against Barnet on August 8 and the four signings made by the Brisbane Road club on Monday have contributed towards that.

Goalkeeper Alex Cisak has returned on a permanent basis and defenders Alan Dunne, Connor Essam and Frazer Shaw have all signed deals with the O’s for the year ahead.

The mood in the Orient camp is positive – a complete contrast to last season – and Hendon has done a fine job so far this summer in shaping a squad that looks capable of mounting a promotion challenge.

But he isn’t going to let himself get carried away yet.

“I hope the boys are enjoying themselves because if they are not enjoying playing football then they shouldn’t be playing, simple as that,” said Hendon.

“They have to take on board what we are telling them and as I said before, we worked hard when we were in Spain.

“We have come back and continued that work, and I think it is starting to show in the way we are playing. We are not getting carried away.

“We have had two good results against Colchester and Woking, but we are not getting carried away. I am enjoying watching the players, watching them work, which is the main thing. They are working so hard at the moment and getting their rewards for it.”

After bringing Cisak, Dunne, Essam and Shaw into the club on permanent deals on Monday, the Orient squad looks close to being complete.

Hendon admitted he is now satisfied with the amount of players he has and is confident of taking that team into the new League Two campaign.

The O’s have been linked with Peterborough midfielder Jack Payne for a large part of the summer, but that deal doesn’t seem likely now.

Orient probably need another central midfielder and a left-back if Shane Lowry leaves as expected, but Hendon is pleased with what he has got.

He added: “I am quite happy with the numbers we have. I am not saying we are going to sign any players and I am not saying we are not going to.

“If something comes along which we think will make us stronger then we might do something, but I am happy with the squad I’ve got here.

“It might not be the biggest, but the more players you have got the more people you need to keep happy. I’m quite satisfied to go along with what we’ve got.

“If we need to do anything later on because of injuries or suspensions then there are plenty of places where we can go to pick players up.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 19:03

Eoin Morgan would be “surprised” if the T20 World Cup goes ahead as scheduled later this year but indicated any deferment will not shape his future as England captain.

Yesterday, 15:00

A raft of issues including a restart date and curtailment will be discussed when Premier League clubs gather again on Thursday morning.

Yesterday, 13:19

Premier League clubs have voted unanimously to resume contact training as ‘Project Restart’ took a giant step forwards.
After starting with small, socially-distanced training sessions, players and managers from the 20 top-flight clubs were briefed on proposals for the reintroduction of contact training on Tuesday.

Yesterday, 12:00

Former Leyton Orient goalkeeper Charlie Grainger says he endured ‘an emotional rollercoaster’ at Brisbane Road in a 10-year spell which included 14 managers, three different leagues and a bizarre amount of setbacks.

Yesterday, 10:00

The owner of cricket ball manufacturer Dukes says bowlers should have ‘no problem’ producing swing in England this summer despite the imminent ban on using saliva.

Yesterday, 10:00

Under normal circumstances, Essex would this week be embarking on the defence of their Vitality Blast T20 title.

Yesterday, 08:02

The Premier League has held talks with sports technology company STATSports to help shape training sessions ahead of the move to contact training.

Yesterday, 07:52

Former Rugby Football Union chief executive Francis Baron believes a ‘Coronavirus Cup of World Rugby’ next summer could significantly ease the economic hardship facing the global game because of the pandemic.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

People working for a wide range of private companies have been standing side-by-side with public sector staff on the front line during the coronavirus outbreak.

The United Kingdom is pulling together as one, with people from all regions and all four nations of the country helping each other through the coronavirus pandemic.

Most read sport

Competitions

A competition for wannabe writers has been started to add works to Canary Wharf’s ‘short story’ dispensers which are temporarily locked up by the lock down.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser