Search

Justin Edinburgh will make sure Leyton Orient react positively after their FA Trophy exit at Gateshead

PUBLISHED: 08:30 07 March 2018

Leyton Orient head coach Justin Edinburgh issues instructions from the touchline (pic: David Simpson TGS Photo).

Leyton Orient head coach Justin Edinburgh issues instructions from the touchline (pic: David Simpson TGS Photo).

©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 1376 553468

After losing a three-goal lead to draw 3-3 in the first tie, the O’s were left to reflect on what might have been after losing 3-2 in last night’s replay

Justin Edinburgh has vowed to make sure Leyton Orient bounce back strongly from their FA Trophy disappointment at Gateshead on Tuesday night.

Another thrilling encounter between the two sides occurred, after a 3-3 draw in the first meeting on February 24, and it was the Heed who progressed to the semi-finals of the competition with a 3-2 win.

Danny Johnson’s first-half brace put Steve Watson’s team in control, but goals after the break from James Brophy and David Mooney levelled for the O’s with 20 minutes left at the International Stadium.

Richard Peniket popped up with a third goal for Gateshead in the 80th minute though, and it proved to be the winner.

With Orient throwing away a three-goal lead in the original tie last month, this late loss only added to their overall frustration.

Edinburgh told the official club website: “One thing I said to the players in the dressing room after was ‘don’t for one minute think we are going to let this season peter out’ because I am determined to make sure that won’t happen.

“What we need to look at is why we have allowed the final 20 minutes from the first Gateshead game to affect us over the last couple of performances because that’s frustrating.”

Orient’s cause was not helped by a combination of illness, injuries and ineligibility with Dan Holman, Sam Ling, Marvin Ekpiteta and Nathan Mavila not available because they were cup-tied.

George Elokobi (hamstring/illness), Jobi McAnuff (neck/shoulder), Charlie Lee (knee) and James Dayton (hamstring) were also unable to feature and to make matters worst, the O’s lost two more players on the day of the game.

Craig Clay and Alex Lawless both fell ill and it left Orient with limited options in the centre of midfield, but Edinburgh refused to use it as an excuse despite only naming four substitutes.

He added: “Obviously we had to make changes and I said to the players for the level we are at and where we want to get to, we can’t allow change to effect us as badly as it did.

“It rocked us and we had to stay in the game and it could have been a bigger scoreline at half time, but that’s where the positives come – half time onwards.

“We spoke in depth with the players and they came out and stuck to the game plan and executed it ever so well, but again we haven’t seen it through when we had a team on the back foot and when we looked like the team who was going to win.”

Individual errors proved costly for O’s, as they had done in the original tie at Brisbane Road, and Edinburgh admitted it is something he wants to cut out quickly.

“We’ve got to stop it because it seems to be a common theme at the moment,” said the 46-year-old. “We’ve gone from a team who were very hard to beat, were seeing games out and managing games very well at places like Halifax Town, AFC Fylde and Chester where we had to be on it, but of late we’ve come away from that.

“It’s frustrating, but it is something which will be addressed and put right and we have a lot of football between now and the end of the season.”

Orient’s head coach also paid tribute to the 125 travelling supporters who made the long trip to the North East.

In the end, it proved to be a hugely deflating evening, but Edinburgh again insisted he will right the wrongs which have crept into the O’s game over the last two weeks.

He added: “We are disappointed for the supporters. Our fans are magnificent and they’ve travelled a long way and there was a time where I thought we were out of the cup.

“Then I thought we were going to go on and win it - it wasn’t the case - and again it is frustrating, but it is my job to iron it out and that’s what I will do.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

22:01

Packed playing calendars and the onset of social distancing means England’s World Cup winning squad are unable to toast the anniversary of last year’s unforgettable Lord’s victory in person, but captain Eoin Morgan plans to get the gang back together sooner rather than later.

14:26

West Ham United defender Angelo Ogbonna was pleased to mark five years as a Hammer with a clean sheet in the 4-0 win over Norwich on Saturday afternoon.

11:00

Ben Stokes will hand back the England captaincy with plenty of pride and no regrets despite coming up short against a defiant West Indies side in the first Test at the Ageas Bowl.

09:00

With more grassroots sport getting the green light to return to action after more than three months away due to the coronavirus pandemic, celebrate with another sports quiz?!

Yesterday, 18:21

Jermaine Blackwood scored a match-winning 95 as Test cricket’s big return ended with the West Indies chasing down 200 to defeat England by four wickets in the eerie silence of the Ageas Bowl ‘bubble’.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Zak Crawley stepped up with the highest score of his short Test career as England established a hard-fought lead in the first Test but a late surge from the West Indies bowlers left the tourists sensing a day five victory at the Ageas Bowl.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

West Ham United boss David Moyes says they can use previous relegation battle experiences to drive them on ahead of clash with Norwich City.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

West Ham’s Michail Antonio put his impressive goalscoring down to manager David Moyes, following a morale-boosting 4-0 win at Premier League basement boys Norwich.

PROMOTED CONTENT

People across the country are being encouraged to enjoy summer safely by following official advice and staying safe.

The NHS Test and Trace service brings together testing, contact tracing and outbreak management into an end-to-end service to stop the spread of the virus and help us move out of lockdown.

The UK Government has launched a campaign to shine a light on businesses and employees across the country who have responded to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in remarkable ways and are now going back to business.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser