Search

Leyton Orient boss Alberto Cavasin explains decision to substitute Michael Collins during 2-1 defeat to Blackpool

PUBLISHED: 10:30 21 November 2016 | UPDATED: 10:58 21 November 2016

Leyton Orient midfielder Michael Collins in action on his debut against Crewe Alexandra (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient midfielder Michael Collins in action on his debut against Crewe Alexandra (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Simon O'Connor Photography

Italian admitted he could have brought Paul McCallum on earlier, but felt Ollie Palmer was still having impact at Brisbane Road

Alberto Cavasin revealed he decided to bring off Michael Collins during Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to Blackpool in League Two so he could keep balance in the Leyton Orient team.

Goals from Jamille Matt and Tom Aldred put the Tangerines two goals ahead with 57 minutes played at Brisbane Road.

Although Collins had been one of O’s better performers, the Italian decided to take him off in the 66th minute when Robbie Weir appeared the better candidate to substitute.

“Weir is a player who gives balance to the team and stays in front of the defence so wanting to play more offensive the ones I could have taken out was either Nigel Atangana or Collins,” said Cavasin via a translator.

The decision to replace Collins wasn’t the only bizarre decision by the 60-year-old during Saturday’s match.

With Orient struggling for ideas and Blackpool goalkeeper Sam Slocombe enjoying a routine day, Cavasin waited until the 75th minute to bring on Paul McCallum.

It was too late for the ex-West Ham United forward to be introduced with the visitors cruising at this point.

McCallum needed to be brought on earlier for a midfielder with O’s going with three up front or for Palmer.

Cavasin added: “I felt Palmer was still quite active and helping us a lot and a target man. Jay is a player that can always score in any particular moment.

“I thought it was important to leave Jay on because in the box he can solve many situations so then I chose to take off Palmer. Yes I could have done it five minutes earlier, but he was still physically fit to play.”

The ex-Fiorentina boss was keen to draw on the positives despite Orient suffering a seventh consecutive defeat at Brisbane Road, which is a new record for the east London club.

“In this moment there are two things that are positive and the first is that the next game is on Tuesday against Exeter City,” said Cavasin.

“This is what the lads said in the changing room and the other is that we ended the match in a positive way.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 08:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton understands perspective will be important as they look to get themselves into the League Two play-off places.

Thu, 17:03

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has revealed it could be a chance for young creative attacker Jordan Maguire-Drew to shine as they travel away to Port Vale.

Thu, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has revealed the club is already working on a number of contract extensions for players, including top goal scorer Danny Johnson.

Wed, 17:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has explained the reasons behind the Port Vale match being swapped to an earlier kick-off.

Wed, 12:00

Leyton Orient defender Dan Happe insists it’s a rare occasion for him to find the back of the net but was more focused on the clean sheet and picking up the win.

Wed, 09:30

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton heaps praise on young defender Dan Happe as he netted the winner in their 1-0 victory over Bradford City.

Tue, 12:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton is hoping to be able to stick with a similar line-up for the Bradford City clash on the back of a 3-0 win over Harrogate Town.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Let’s get physical! One of the dangers of lockdown is to be lulled into laziness, watching too many box sets, and eating and drinking too much, but there is no excuse to not start exercising to get fit and stay healthy.

UK Government Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced extra measures to support workers and businesses throughout winter, including a furlough scheme extension paying 80 per cent of staff wages.

The way the UK does business with Europe changes from January 1, heralding a new start. All companies that trade with the EU need to act now to make sure they are set to go.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser