Leyton Orient celebrate but it’s just a start insists captain Robbie Weir after win at Hartlepool United
PUBLISHED: 12:00 26 October 2016
07958 573219 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ex-Burton Albion favourite thanks O’s fans for their support and expresses delight at playing again after suspension
It is amazing what confidence does to a team after Leyton Orient earned their first victory since September 3 at Hartlepool United on Saturday.
Josh Laurent opened the scoring for the hosts at Victoria Park, but Sandro Semedo levelled in the 55th minute, before Ollie Palmer’s brace secured a 3-1 success.
As soon as the O’s equalised, you could see the effect it had on the squad and the quality in the team slowly began to shine through.
“We have to take a lot of confidence from the win because whenever we did score we kept on going,” said Orient captain Robbie Weir.
“We conceded before half time and there were a few choice words said, which everybody took on the chin.
“But second half we came out fighting and we wanted to prove a point and show we aren’t going to lie down until we are where we want to be in the division.”
Orient’s victory at Victoria Park means they are now just five points off the play-off places in League Two, but before they can focus on that they must put a run together.
Weir insisted time and time again after Saturday’s match that one win doesn’t make everything all right and the squad have to show their quality again at home to Crewe Alexandra this weekend.
There is no doubt when O’s do get back to Brisbane Road on Saturday they will have a lot more confidence than in recent weeks.
Even though they have suffered defeats against Portsmouth and Luton Town at home already this month, the performances by Alberto Cavasin’s team did improve.
More quality in the final third and Orient could have picked up points from those games and the hope is that Saturday’s victory in the North East will give the players more belief.
It was good to see Weir back on the pitch after a spell on the sidelines following his red card against Plymouth Argyle on September 27.
Orient’s captain was steady and solid against Pools and had a big role in the equalising goal.
“There is nothing better than playing football and it has been a long three weeks,” said Weir.
“I will need to get my match fitness back to where it needs to be, but that will come and it was great to be back out there with the team after the suspension.”
Weir received a lot of praise after his red card against Plymouth when he took to social media to apologise for the sending-off, before admitting his form had been awful since his summer arrival from Burton Albion.
The 27-year-old was available for Cavasin on Saturday, but he may not have started had fellow central midfielder Liam Kelly been fully fit.
Kelly is unlikely to play again for O’s until the new year, after tearing his hamstring against Portsmouth, and it means Weir has a great chance to rediscover his best form after suffering with illness in August.
He added: “I was overwhelmed with the reaction from the fans to my tweet. At the end of the day I needed to be honest with myself.
“The way I have started the season has been awful and I have standards and where I was last year and I want to get back to that.
“Maybe this little setback with the sending-off was a blessing in disguise because I’m ready now and hungry. Liam’s injury means I’m ready to take this opportunity with two hands and prove a point.”
Weir is determined to succeed at Orient and another positive result on Saturday will make everything look slightly better at Brisbane Road.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.