Search

Leyton Orient staff call on English Football League and Football Association to demand answers from club’s board

PUBLISHED: 11:26 24 April 2017 | UPDATED: 14:45 24 April 2017

Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road (pic: Play With A Legend).

Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road (pic: Play With A Legend).

Mathew Parri Thomas 2016

The O’s staff were due to be paid on March 31, but have yet to receive their wages and haven’t been told when to expect them

Leyton Orient’s staff have issued another statement following continued silence from chairman Francesco Becchetti and called on the English Football League and Football Association to intervene to demand answers over their unpaid wages.

A statement read: “Further to our previous statement dated April 19 where we appealed to the club’s board of directors, we have been met with a wall of silence.

“Chief Operating Officer Vito Miceli had no answers to questions posed by a Waltham Forest Guardian journalist following Saturday’s fixture in which the club’s relegation was confirmed.

“We are now on the 24th day of the month and are yet to receive a payment of wages for March, with April due in only four days’ time.

“We are extremely concerned about the ongoing situation given the effect of non-payment of mortgages and rent are already resulting in staff having to relocate.

“Due to this we appeal to the English Football League (EFL) and the Football Association to intervene on our behalf as the regulatory bodies in the sport and demand substantive answers from the club’s board.

“It was previously reported that the EFL met with directors of the club in March where the club’s plans until the end of the season were outlined and financial reassurances were given.

“Having failed to have these plans communicated to us as staff, or even see evidence of such plans during the intervening weeks, it reinforces our grave concern regarding the financial stability of the club or its ability to pay outstanding debts.

“With two weeks of the season left before we fall out of the remit of the EFL, we call on you to act immediately and without delay on our behalf.

“With the growing mismanagement of football clubs in general we feel your intervention is essential in order to safeguard ourselves, as well as other clubs who may find themselves in a similar situation in the future.”

This statement follows news this morning that Barry Hearn has resigned as Leyton Orient’s honorary president due to the continued absence of wages for the club staff.

Hearn said: “It is with sadness that I have decided to resign my honorary role as life president of Leyton Orient with immediate effect.

“I cannot be associated in any way with a club/business that does not pay the wages and salaries of its hard working staff, players and officials.

“I hope for everyone’s sake that the stewardship of the club is resolved as quickly as possible and everyone will be repaid all that they are owed.”

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists