Search

Martin Ling would have kept Toby Stevenson and Teddy Perkins if Leyton Orient had an under-23 team

PUBLISHED: 10:01 22 May 2018 | UPDATED: 10:01 22 May 2018

Toby Stevenson signing a contract with Charlton Athletic's under-23 team (pic: Paul Stevenson).

Toby Stevenson signing a contract with Charlton Athletic's under-23 team (pic: Paul Stevenson).

Archant

Stevenson signed for Charlton’s under-23 team earlier this month while Perkins has joined Burnley’s under-23s after both were released by Orient

Leyton Orient director of football Martin Ling has insisted the club would have kept young prospects Toby Stevenson and Teddy Perkins if they had an under-23 team.

The duo have both left the O’s in recent months after not being offered professional deals at the end of their youth-team scholarship.

Perkins and Stevenson both impressed on loan at Bostik North clubs last season in the form of Romford and Heybridge Swifts and since departing E10, they have earned moves to higher level clubs.

When Perkins was told at the start of 2018 he would not be offered a pro deal by O’s, he was able to trial with other teams and eventually earned a switch to Burnley’s under-23s in March.

Stevenson was told at a similar time he would not be kept on at the end of his two-year scholarship and after trials, he signed with Charlton Athletic’s under-23s earlier this month.

But Ling conceded both players may still be at Brisbane Road if Orient were able to run a development team.

He said: “The difference is clubs like Burnley, where Teddy Perkins went, and Charlton, where Toby Stevenson went, have an under-23 team.

“For us we have 23 to 24 spots in the squad to fill, so we need players ready for the first-team and ready to go. We haven’t got the luxury of being able to hold a player in the under-23s for two years.

“If we had an under-23s team would I have got rid of Teddy Perkins and Toby Stevenson? Of course I wouldn’t and it is obvious to say, but I haven’t got a group of under-23s.

“I can’t just keep them sitting there; I can’t afford to pay two players who might be players in the future, so we made our decision and I’m comfortable with that decision.

“People forget to use the last sentence when they say they have gone to Burnley and Charlton – it is Burnley’s under-23s and Charlton’s under-23s and there is a difference to being in the Burnley first-team or the Charlton first-team.

“There will always be players who have left us that can get in under-23 teams and they are two who have done it, but the fact is had we had our own under-23s team, we wouldn’t have released them.

“Unfortunately we don’t and there is just no space for them in our first-team at the moment, but I wish them well.”

While the potential of Stevenson and Perkins appears obvious, the harsh reality for the O’s is they are now a non-league club.

This means they can only afford to keep youngsters who are ready to compete in the National League and a consequence of this strategy is talented teenagers will leave E10 to continue their development elsewhere.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

10:38

In-form West Ham forward Michail Antonio has been ruled out of Saturday’s trip to Liverpool, but David Moyes is hopeful he will not be missing for too long.

10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton admits they’re missing special moments without fans in the ground as they head into another hectic week.

Yesterday, 13:00

Leyton Orient captain Jobi McAnuff has backed English Football League chairman Rick Parry’s combative letter to the Government and revealed the toll on players caused by the continued absence of fans from matches.

Wed, 16:00

London Lions have added Great Britain centre Fahro Alihodzic to their roster as they approach the start of the domestic season and look to January’s FIBA Eurocup campaign.

Wed, 15:00

A programme to get more youngsters involved in outdoor sport is being started at Mile End stadium in the search for “the hockey stars of tomorrow”.

Wed, 13:00

West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye is feeling optimistic under manager David Moyes.

Wed, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton was ‘disappointed’ that his side failed to push on after early lead as they drew 1-1 with Exeter City.

Tue, 20:55

League Two: Leyton Orient 1 Exeter City 1

PROMOTED CONTENT

Did you know? UCAS gets almost 3 million university applications from around 700,000 people each year. That’s a lot of competition. So how can your son or daughter stand out? 

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser