Nolan backs Orient squad to cope without key men
PUBLISHED: 18:00 17 March 2016
07958 573219 email@example.com
East Londoners will be without Mathieu Baudry for four matches while Jobi McAnuff and Calaum Jahraldo-Martin will jet off next week
Leyton Orient player-manager Kevin Nolan has challenged his squad to step up now they will be without various key players.
It was confirmed on Tuesday that both Jobi McAnuff and Calaum Jahraldo-Martin would be unavailable for the Easter period.
The duo have been called up for international duty with Jamaica and Antigua & Barbuda respectively and will miss the trip to Accrington Stanley and the home clash with Hartlepool United on Good Friday.
Later that day it was revealed that O’s appeal against Mathieu Baudry’s red card had been rejected and he will miss the next four matches.
Orient’s French skipper won’t return until April 9 and Nolan believes now is the time for his players to step up.
He said: “We have a fantastic squad and they should all be really up for it this next week because there is going to be opportunities.
“A chance has arisen because of Mathieu Baudry’s red card and you never know what is going to happen in football – whether it be injury, suspension or somebody going down sick the night before a game.
“You always have to be prepared and mentally prepared as well as physically ready for what is to come.
“We have been trying to make sure the lads that haven’t got 90 minutes much over the last few weeks for the first team, are still getting minutes and working hard outside.
“They needed to keep ready so when they are needed, they go through with it and get into the team and stay there for a long time. That is what I hope to see now over these next few weeks.”
Orient’s player-manager was extremely disappointed with the FA’s decision not to overturn Baudry’s red card.
With the 28-year-old getting sent off against Portsmouth on Boxing Day, his dismissal at Oxford means he’ll miss four matches.
Nolan added: “When looking at it and seeing it in real time, I thought we had a real chance of getting it overturned.
“To see that it has gone to a review and the panel has said that it is still a red card, I find it quite unbelievable.
“That is the nature of it and these review panels have got to get better because everyone in football can see it is just a mistimed tackle and at most it is a yellow.
“But to now lose your skipper for four games and see it upheld is very disappointing on our behalf.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.