Orient get back to winning ways at the seaside after Payne scores first for the club

PUBLISHED: 17:01 24 October 2015 | UPDATED: 17:01 24 October 2015

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor).

07958 573219

Sky Bet League Two: Morecambe 0 Leyton Orient 1

Leyton Orient got back to winning ways at Morecambe after Jack Payne scored his first goal for the club to earn them a 1-0 win in League Two.

It came in fortuitous circumstances because Payne scored after blocking a clearance, but the O’s defended well throughout at Globe Arena.

Ian Hendon had Alex Cisak to thank for a couple of saves at the end, but they managed to stay strong and get a much-needed three points.

Orient named an unchanged starting team from the side that drew at Luton Town on Tuesday night, but there was a notable absentee on the bench.

Dean Cox wasn’t included and Freddy Moncur took his place among the replacements alongside fellow youth team graduate Scott Kashket.

Cox was at Globe Arena, though, and not nursing an injury just not selected by Hendon for the match.

The O’s got the game underway and the first chance of note went to the Seasiders, but Ryan Edwards headed a corner wide.

Although Morecambe were the leading scorers in the division and in Jay Simpson, Orient had the player with the most goals in the league – it was a dull affair.

They was little created in terms of chances until Payne picked out Ollie Palmer in the box, but his header was deflected wide.

In response the hosts attacked well down the right and Jamie Devitt headed a decent opportunity wide.

John Marquis picked up a booking in the 24th minute when his enthusiasm got the better of him and he caught Shaun Beeley late.

Five minutes later and Hendon’s side had their best shot on target and it would give them the lead, but in fortuitous circumstances.

Payne beat his marker and tried to pass to his team mate, but the ball got intercepted and Edwards attempted clearance was charged down by the Orient midfielder and flew past Barry Roche in the Morecambe goal and into the net.

It was his first goal for the club and a minute later and Payne tried his luck from range, but it was easily saved.

Kevin Ellison had an effort at the other end – Cisak comfortably gather, however, and it remained 1-0 to the away side.

The O’s pushed to extend their lead and broke smartly seven minutes before the interval after Palmer won the ball off the home defence.

He passed out to Bradley Pritchard and his cross looped over Roche, but hit the crossbar and bounced over.

Morecambe pressed to get back on level terms afterwards and two minutes of stoppage time was added on, but it was played out and Orient led at the break.

The Seasiders got the second period underway and should have equalised immediately as Paul Mullin cut inside Connor Essam. His effort went wide, however, and penalty appeals were waved away by referee David Webb.

Orient might have doubled their lead in the 49th minute, though, when Palmer won Pritchard’s centre, but Simpson, at full stretch, toe poked wide at the far post.

It was inches anyway from giving the east Londoners a two goal lead and Morecambe appeared to use that to their advantage.

They once again put the away goal under pressure, but couldn’t fashion a decent opener and it was Hendon’s men that had the next chance.

Pritchard fed Simpson, he rolled his marker well, but curled his shot wide from just outside the area.

Once again Morecambe hit back and a Devitt corner was won by Andy Goddall, his header went over and it remained 1-0 to the O’s with an hour played.

Hendon decided to bring Lloyd James on after that, replacing Marquis in an attempt to shore things up in midfield.

They had another opportunity to double their lead moments later when Clohessy’s cross found Palmer, his knock down was gratefully gathered by Roche with Simpson ready to pounce.

With 25 minutes left the game started to become scrappy with the home side desperate to find a goal and they started to adopt a long ball tactic.

Orient’s 398 away fans were in fine voice and roaring their team on as the seconds ticked away, desperate to see them win on the road for the first time since August.

Those supporters might have been celebrated a goal in the 75th minute had Palmer been aware of what was around him. But when James passed to him in the box, he was tackled and a potentially good opportunity was gone.

As the match entered the final 10 minutes, the O’s looked in control and had been defensively sound against a Morecambe team lacking a bit of imagination up front.

Aaron Wildig, a second half substitute for the hosts, tested Cisak for one of the first times in the game when he let fly from range.

The Australian pushed wide and despite some pressure following the corner, Orient were able to survive, but it was getting nervy at Globe Arena.

Wildig was starting to become influential and his cross was narrowly missed by Tom Barkhuizen before Blair Turgott was introduced for Simpson.

A minute later and Adam Chicksen committed a cynical foul on Shaun Beeley. He was booked for that, but the dangerous free kick was fortunately smashed over the bar by Lee Molyneux.

The pressure was mounting now and Cisak made a stunning low save from Barkhuizen before O’s captain Mathieu Baudry appeared to accidentally handle the ball, but Morecambe’s penalty appears were waved away.

Orient had survived the first of four minutes of stoppage time, but the home side had all the momentum now.

Hendon’s men held on, however, to earn a first win on the road since beating Newport County on August 22.

It was also the O’s first clean sheet since beating Bristol Rovers on the final weekend of August and the three points kept them sixth in the table, but a point behind Oxford United in third.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, McGowan, Kenyon (Kelleher 81), Edwards, Devitt, Barkhuizen, Ellison, Mullin (Molyneux 68), Goodall (Wildig 59), Parrish.

Unused substitutes: Thompson, Bondswell, Bailey.

Leyton Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Baudry, Essam, Chicksen, Payne, Pritchard, Moore, Marquis (James 63), Simpson (Turgott 87), Palmer.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Shaw, Dunne, Kashket, Moncur.

Attendance: 2,105 (398 Leyton Orient supporters).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 16:15

Jamie Porter claimed his first wicket of the match in a truncated session of play that allowed just 10.5 overs of play in the afternoon session shoehorned in between rain.

Yesterday, 13:13

Sam Cook collected two wickets for Essex in their Bob Willis Trophy shoot-out with Somerset before the West Country outfit responded to reach the lunch interval on 90 for 3.

Yesterday, 10:21

London Lions suffered FIBA Basketball Champions League heartbreak as they missed out on the next stage with a narrow 77-73 defeat to Lithuanian side Neptunas Klaipeda in the first qualifying round.

Yesterday, 10:00

Essex captain Tom Westley believes staging the Bob Willis Trophy final against Somerset on neutral ground, negating the home benefits of Chelmsford and Taunton to the protagonists, will provide the perfect setting to decide the red-ball champions of a truncated season.

Tue, 19:59

West Ham confirmed that David Moyes, Issa Diop and Josh Cullen returned positive tests for COVID-19.

Tue, 16:00

Leyton Orient’s third round Carabao Cup clash with Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur is not taking place this evening as scheduled.
Discussions are ongoing between the relevant stakeholders in regards to the implications of the fixture not taking place tonight and a further update will be provided in due course.
Leyton Orient, the EFL and the relevant authorities are conducting a thorough review of the club’s covid-19 secure procedures with the view to re-opening the stadium and training ground as soon as possible.

Tue, 12:46

Leyton Orient chairman Nigel Travis expects the Carabao Cup fixture against Tottenham Hotspur to be replayed after the club revealed a number of their first-team squad had tested positive for COVID-19 on the eve of their clash with Spurs.


For the past six months, employers and employees have been adapting to ways of working from home. The green light has now been given to many people to go back to offices safely. From flexible hours and staggered starting times to deep cleaning, we’re getting ready for new ways of working.

School’s in for summer – and beyond – with health experts agreeing that pupils safely returning to their studies is “positively” the right thing to do. It’s vital for all children’s welfare, not just in terms of students’ future education but also mental and physical well-being, as well as social interaction of classmates.

The NHS Test and Trace system provides protection for family, friends, colleagues and the community, and is here to keep all of us safe and allow us to enjoy summer safely. We take a look at how the system is working and talk to one member of the thousands of team members about her experiences.

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser