Orient players in hotel stay
PUBLISHED: 09:32 19 November 2015 | UPDATED: 09:32 19 November 2015
07958 573219 email@example.com
Owner moves squad to Waltham Abbey location in bid to improve form
Leyton Orient players have had an unusual build-up to Saturday’s match at home to York City after being forced to stay in a hotel by owner Francesco Becchetti.
Following last week’s 3-1 defeat at Hartlepool United, manager Ian Hendon was informed of the Italian’s decision to house the players at the Marriott Hotel in Waltham Abbey on the coach trip back to London.
The players and staff have been holed up there since Sunday and have travelled together for sessions at their Chigwell training ground.
During their spare time, the players can visit their family but have been told they must return to the hotel where they will live, sleep and eat until the match against the Minstermen.
Becchetti hopes the decision changes O’s fortunes after just two wins in their last 12 matches and Hendon believes it is something that could make the squad closer as a unit.
“The owner has had different sporting ventures over the years and he said sometimes it’s good to get together and spend time together,” he told The Daily Mail.
“It helps team bonding. When the owner suggested it I thought why not try something different.”
“If we win 5-0 the owner might ask us to move here permanently. We’re not trying to hide anything. We’re staying at a hotel. There are plenty of army camps in deepest darkest woods if we wanted to do that.”
Last season, AC Milan players were forced to stay at their training ground after then-manager Filipo Inzaghi was disappointed with his squad’s attitude following a defeat.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.