Search

Relegation was horrible, but Michael Clark’s looking forward to helping Leyton Orient recover next season

PUBLISHED: 13:30 29 May 2017

Leyton Orient defender Michael Clark knocks the ball forward against Crewe Alexandra (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient defender Michael Clark knocks the ball forward against Crewe Alexandra (pic: Simon O'Connor).

07958 573219 simon.oconnor@virgin.net

Teenage defender discusses O’s future, his new professional deal and what it felt like to suffer relegation on April 22

Leyton Orient defender Michael Clark gets above Cambridge United forward Uche Ikpeazu to head clear (pic: Simon O'Connor).Leyton Orient defender Michael Clark gets above Cambridge United forward Uche Ikpeazu to head clear (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient defender Michael Clark is looking forward to next season and is keen to help the Brisbane Road club move forward after a baptism of fire in recent months.

The 19-year-old was a regular for O’s during the final weeks of the 2016/17 campaign, but couldn’t prevent relegation to the National League.

A 3-0 defeat at Crewe Alexandra on April 22 confirmed Orient would be a non-league club next season and their teenage centre back admitted it was hard to take.

“It was a horrible day and the changing room after was not a nice place to be, but after that everyone picked themselves up,” said Clark.

“We got the season over and done with and I am hoping now we can start from scratch this year and begin to move forward again.”

At the moment Clark is part of a small and inexperienced O’s squad with the future uncertain for the east London club.

Chairman Francesco Becchetti met with two potential buyers last week, but no further news has come out about how either meeting went.

For Clark, he knows, regardless of what occurs this summer, he and the rest of the squad just need to concentrate on the football.

Amid all the disappointment of last season, a number of youngsters got an opportunity and it was a rare positive for the fans.

Clark was one of many to show his ability and coped well with the challenge of playing League Two football regularly.

“We will be concentrating on just the football next season anyway because other things are out of our control,” said the Orient academy graduate.

“It would be nice for everything to be sorted, but I am really looking forward to going back and playing games in non-league football again.”

Orient have still not officially announced that Clark has agreed a professional deal, but the defender will be at the club next season.

The former East Thurrock United loanee put pen to paper on a one-year contract back in March mainly thanks to ex-boss Danny Webb.

Webb, before his departure on March 30, spoke strongly about the need to put plans in place for the future.

And it is understood the 33-year-old did just that by arranging a pro deal for O’s former youth-team captain.

Clark added: “It was an easy decision to accept the professional deal. I actually accepted it in March, but they couldn’t announce it for some reason.

“At the time things weren’t as bad with Danny here, but I had nothing else in my mind. I signed it straight away.”

Orient’s talented youth should give supporters plenty of reason to be optimistic going forward, but that will only be the case if Becchetti sells the club soon.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

09:14

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton says his side showed real spirit and deadly finishing as they came away from Port Vale with a 3-2 victory in a match where they had to sit deep and defend.

Saturday, November 28, 2020

League Two: Port Vale 2 Leyton Orient 3

Friday, November 27, 2020

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton understands perspective will be important as they look to get themselves into the League Two play-off places.

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has revealed it could be a chance for young creative attacker Jordan Maguire-Drew to shine as they travel away to Port Vale.

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has revealed the club is already working on a number of contract extensions for players, including top goal scorer Danny Johnson.

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton has explained the reasons behind the Port Vale match being swapped to an earlier kick-off.

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Leyton Orient defender Dan Happe insists it’s a rare occasion for him to find the back of the net but was more focused on the clean sheet and picking up the win.

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton heaps praise on young defender Dan Happe as he netted the winner in their 1-0 victory over Bradford City.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Let’s get physical! One of the dangers of lockdown is to be lulled into laziness, watching too many box sets, and eating and drinking too much, but there is no excuse to not start exercising to get fit and stay healthy.

UK Government Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced extra measures to support workers and businesses throughout winter, including a furlough scheme extension paying 80 per cent of staff wages.

The way the UK does business with Europe changes from January 1, heralding a new start. All companies that trade with the EU need to act now to make sure they are set to go.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser