Search

Saturday's events at Brisbane Road were a first for Leyton Orient boss Omer Riza

PUBLISHED: 17:00 03 May 2017

Leyton Orient fans invade the Brisbane Road pitch during Saturday's game with Colchester United and call for chairman Francesco Becchetti to leave the club

Leyton Orient fans invade the Brisbane Road pitch during Saturday's game with Colchester United and call for chairman Francesco Becchetti to leave the club

07958 573219 simon.oconnor@virgin.net

The O's game with Colchester United was disrupted by a fans protest and then they ended the match with a strange 'keep-ball' session

Leyton Orient players warm-up for the final five minutes plus stoppage time against Colchester UnitedLeyton Orient players warm-up for the final five minutes plus stoppage time against Colchester United

Leyton Orient manager Omer Riza admitted the events which occurred on Saturday were a first for him.

O’s supporters invaded the pitch at Brisbane Road with five minutes of their match with Colchester United remaining.

The Orient fans refused to leave the field despite repeated requests and continued to chant for chairman Francesco Becchetti to leave.

Eventually at 5.47pm the game was declared as abandoned, but just under an hour later it restarted again and finished close to 7pm.

Leyton Orient and Colchester United play out the final five minutes of Saturday's gameLeyton Orient and Colchester United play out the final five minutes of Saturday's game

If that was bizarre, the fact O’s and Colchester played out the final exchanges with a keep-ball session concluded a controversial day in strange circumstances.

Riza said: “I don’t think I have ever seen anything like that before. I can’t remember if in my career I have seen an occasion like that.

“I have had problems in Turkey and we won a game once and the fans still wanted to wreck our coach because we didn’t play well enough, so things like that happen, but this was a little bit different.”

The Orient boss went on to say he respects the decision of the supporters to invade the pitch to protest against Becchetti.

But Riza hoped they also understood his position, adding: “ It is what it is and I have said from day one I respect the decisions of everybody like I hope people respect my decision to get the team to perform and play and be as professional as we can be.

“This has happened now and whatever the repercussions or whatever situation occurs from it remains to be seen.”

After O’s relegation was confirmed on April 22, Riza revealed he hoped to meet with Becchetti to discuss the future before the Colchester game.

The 37-year-old wasn’t able to, but reiterated his desire to sit down with the Italian at some point soon.

He added: “There has been nothing with the president yet. I was hoping to have a meeting with him last week, but apparently he had some prior engagements.

“I am hoping we can have a meeting this week. I will keep trying to do what I am doing and keep trying to steady the ship.”

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

08:20

New Leyton Orient head coach Carl Fletcher was left 'a little bit disappointed' after suffering a 4-0 defeat at former club Plymouth Argyle on Tuesday.

Yesterday, 21:41

Carl Fletcher's first game in charge of Orient was turned into a nightmare by his former club at Home Park.

Yesterday, 16:00

Leyton Orient head coach Carl Fletcher has admitted League Two has changed drastically since he managed in it with Plymouth Argyle ahead of their clash.

Yesterday, 12:00

Leyton Orient will make the long trip to Plymouth Argyle for new head coach Carl Fletcher's first match in charge.

Yesterday, 10:00

NIHL South Two: Lee Valley Lions 4 Invicta Mustangs 11

Yesterday, 09:00

Leyton Orient assistant coach Ross Embleton has lauded the impact of striker Matt Harrold since taking his chance in the starting line-up.

Hammers Mark Noble clearly still hurts to lose after Goodison Park misery

Mon, 20:30

Leyton Orient have been handed a home tie against Isthmian North side Maldon & Tiptree in the first round of the FA Cup.

PROMOTED CONTENT

It's now just under a month since All Points East took over Victoria Park with two weekends of world-class music and a programme of free community events.

Curated by AEG Presents, All Points East is bringing an impressive line-up of multi-flavoured music to Victoria Park from May 24-26 and May 31-June 2.

Victoria Park - or 'Vicky Park' as the locals know it - has been the setting for many important events over the years.​ Here, we take a look at its unique cultural history.

Newsletter Sign Up

East London Advertiser twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists