Search

Steve Davis reluctant to loan out Leyton Orient’s talented kids just yet

PUBLISHED: 17:00 16 August 2017

Leyton Orient head coach Steve Davis looks on from the touchline against Arsenal's under-23s (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient head coach Steve Davis looks on from the touchline against Arsenal's under-23s (pic: Simon O'Connor).

07958 573219 simon.oconnor@virgin.net

The O’s are still actively looking for a target man, but have been frustrated in their attempts to bring one in so far

Leyton Orient head coach Steve Davis wants to spend more time with the club’s youngsters before potentially sending them out on loan this season.

The 52-year-old has only been in charge at Brisbane Road for over a month and is still getting to grips with life in east London.

Davis’ reputation when it comes to developing young players is well known and although some of the kids at O’s are eager to get some game time, they may have to be patient for a little longer.

He said: “There are a few who we could get out now if we wanted too, but I don’t want to come into a football club and then loan them straight out.

“I want to be able to work with them and if they go to a full-time club then they will be training with them more often than us, so I won’t see much of them.

“I would like to do work with them to improve them and help them and I have told them this.

“I believe it is more valuable for them to be working with me and training with the rest of the squad than be away for weeks and training and playing with others.

“But there will be two or three at least who will go out to maybe the league below to get some more experience, which will be great for them.”

Orient have several talented players who have graduated through their academy, but are low down in the pecking order at the moment.

Michael Clark and Aron Pollock are battling with Josh Coulson and George Elokobi to get into O’s starting XI while Jamie Sendles-White appears to be getting fitter with every passing day.

Meanwhile Freddy Moncur and Henry Ochieng are in a fight with Charlie Lee, Alex Lawless and Craig Clay for two midfield spots, so one may be set for a loan spell in the coming weeks.

Orient are light of options up front and Tristan Abrahams is yet to make an appearance for the first-team since completing a transfer to Norwich City – and then being loaned straight back for the season.

The forward played for the Canaries under-23s on Monday and that might have been why he wasn’t involved during the 6-1 loss at Bromley.

Although David Mooney and Macauley Bonne have both got off the mark this season, O’s need more options up front and Director of Football Martin Ling and Davis are still looking for another player in attack.

A powerful, tall striker appears to be on Orient’s wishlist, but it seems for now they are being frustrated in their search for a much-needed target man.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Related articles

Latest East London Sports News

09:15

The Twenty20 World Cup may not go ahead as the leader of the game in host nation Australia revealed the schedule for October and November is under a “very high risk”.

Yesterday, 16:30

British Rowing, British Cycling and British Athletics are teaming up with Blue Peter to row, cycle and run the distance between the Blue Peter studio in Salford and the Japan National Stadium in Tokyo in just 30 days.

Yesterday, 15:42

The 2019-20 Premier League season will restart on Wednesday June 17, with Arsenal visiting Manchester City and Aston Villa hosting Sheffield United.

Yesterday, 15:13

The European Tour will resume in July with a run of six tournaments over six weeks in the UK, but the Dutch Grand Prix has been put back until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Yesterday, 15:00

West Ham United’s Pablo Fornals revealed his relief about the return to training at Rush Green as the Premier League looks to restart next month.

Yesterday, 14:58

The England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have confirmed a further delay to the start of the professional domestic cricket season, with no play before August 1.

Yesterday, 12:00

With sport slowly starting to return across the globe during the coronavirus pandemic, why not test your sporting knowledge with another quiz?

Wed, 19:03

Eoin Morgan would be “surprised” if the T20 World Cup goes ahead as scheduled later this year but indicated any deferment will not shape his future as England captain.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The Government is encouraging people to stay alert as many take their first steps back to their workplace.

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

People working for a wide range of private companies have been standing side-by-side with public sector staff on the front line during the coronavirus outbreak.

Most read sport

Competitions

A competition for wannabe writers has been started to add works to Canary Wharf’s ‘short story’ dispensers which are temporarily locked up by the lock down.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser