Search

Upheaval expected at Leyton Orient

PUBLISHED: 13:39 18 May 2015 | UPDATED: 13:39 18 May 2015

Leyton Orient celebrate Chris Dagnall's goal at Swindon on the final day of the season (pic: Scott Heavey/EMPICS).

Leyton Orient celebrate Chris Dagnall's goal at Swindon on the final day of the season (pic: Scott Heavey/EMPICS).

EMPICS Sport

Out-of-contract players set for exit?

Orient's Scott Cuthbert exchanges words with a Swindon rival in his last appearance for the club (pic: Simon O'Connor)Orient's Scott Cuthbert exchanges words with a Swindon rival in his last appearance for the club (pic: Simon O'Connor)

Leyton Orient look set for a summer of massive upheaval as they prepare for life in League Two.

With manager Fabio Liverani having left the Brisbane Road club late last week, it is believed that half of the first-team squad will also follow the Italian through the exit door.

It is understood that a group of 12 out-of-contract players, including top scorer Chris Dagnall, Scott Cuthbert and David Mooney, will not be offered new deals.

And that means whoever does eventually take over the managerial reins – with Steve Lomas, Darren Ferguson and Paul Tisdale among the frontrunners according to bookmakers – will need to undertake either a big recruitment drive, or to promote several players from the youth-team squad.

Defenders Elliot Omozusi and Gary Sawyer, strike duo Kevin Lisbie and Shaun Batt, midfielders Josh Wright and Marvin Bartley, Italians Andrea Dossena and Gianvito Plasmati are also out of contract this summer, along with youngster Harry Lee.

And although the club will not confirm their exits at this point in time, Bartley posted a message on Twitter that said: “And then there were 12...” which it is believed refers to those remaining on the Orient payroll.

Goalkeeping trio Gary Woods, Adam Legzdins and Charlie Grainger have contracts beyond this season, along with strikers Darius Henderson and Jay Simpson, midfielders Dean Cox, Jobi McAnuff, Lloyd James and Romain Vincelot – who is recovering from knee ligament damage – and defenders Nathan Clarke, Shane Lowry and Mathieu Baudry.

Latest East London Sports News

NIHL South Two: Lee Valley Lions 2 Peterborough Phantoms 7

Yesterday, 15:00

Lee Angol says the Leyton Orient players have the mental strength to cope with the managerial departure of Carl Fletcher and bounce back from a poor run of form.

Yesterday, 12:00

Leyton Orient interim head coach Ross Embleton admits that recently sacked manager Carl Fletcher found it tough to embrace the culture at the club.

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Leyton Orient interim head coach Ross Embleton discusses his future after the sacking of Carl Fletcher and the 2-0 defeat to Scunthorpe United.

Friday, November 15, 2019

Matt Withers is joined by Dan Bennett and Dave Evans to discuss a busy week in east London football.

Friday, November 15, 2019

Ross Embleton will again take charge of Leyton Orient on Saturday against Scunthorpe United following the sacking of Carl Fletcher.

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Rockwell, a London-focused mixed-use property developer, has confirmed its commitment to Westferry FC with a three-year sponsorship deal amounting to £6,000, to guarantee the future of Tower Hamlets' community football team.

PROMOTED CONTENT

It's now just under a month since All Points East took over Victoria Park with two weekends of world-class music and a programme of free community events.

Curated by AEG Presents, All Points East is bringing an impressive line-up of multi-flavoured music to Victoria Park from May 24-26 and May 31-June 2.

Victoria Park - or 'Vicky Park' as the locals know it - has been the setting for many important events over the years.​ Here, we take a look at its unique cultural history.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists