Search

Pinto deal ruled out as boss denies rift

PUBLISHED: 17:20 28 August 2008 | UPDATED: 13:35 05 October 2010

By JONATHAN CLEGG WEST Ham turned down the chance to sign a player nicknamed The Tank this week – but Alan Curbishley has denied that the deal fell through because of a war with technical director Gianluca Nani. Nani arranged a trial for highly rated Chil

By JONATHAN CLEGG

WEST Ham turned down the chance to sign a player nicknamed The Tank this week - but Alan Curbishley has denied that the deal fell through because of a war with technical director Gianluca Nani.

Nani arranged a trial for highly rated Chile striker Sebastian Pinto at Upton Park last week with a view to signing the 22-year-old forward from Brazilian club Santos on a season-long loan.

The deal collapsed when Curbishley rejected the chance to sign the heavyweight hitman, sparking rumours of a row with Nani, who joined the club from Brescia last month and has been placed in charge of scouting potential recruits.

Reports claimed that the Hammers boss had refused to play Pinto in a specially arranged friendly match because he was locked in a power-struggle with Nani over the club's transfer targets.

But Curbishley has dismissed suggestions of a rift between the pair after revealing that Pinto completed an unsuccessful trial in a behind-closed-doors match against Queen's Park Rangers last week.

He said: "I do despair sometimes about what is written about us and I've been saying it for 18 months but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

"If someone had just made a phone call [they would have discovered that] the boy played.

"He came over, he played in a reserve game arranged with QPR last week for James Collins to play in. He played for 80 minutes.

"He played, we didn't fancy him and he's gone back.

"After the game, me and Nani went to watch South Africa play Australia [in an international friendly at Loftus Road] and then I dropped him home, so if we'd had a big row he wouldn't have got in the car."

Pinto, who has been dubbed El Tanque in his homeland because of his stocky appearance, has made just three appearances since joining Santos this year but is free to leave following a fall-out with the Brazilian club's manager.

Blackburn boss Paul Ince is now rumoured to be interested in signing the striker, who has made one international appearance for Chile in an unofficial friendly against Aragon in 2006.

Curbishley is hopeful that another friendly match will take place this week in order to help George McCartney with his rehabilitation from a hamstring injury and a bout of pneumonia.

"We had two people playing in that game [against QPR] aside from the ones coming back from injuries. [Lee] Bowyer played in it, as did [Nigel] Quashie," he said.

"We're trying to get another one arranged [for this week] for McCartney and one or two others.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Latest East London Sports News

09:15

The Twenty20 World Cup may not go ahead as the leader of the game in host nation Australia revealed the schedule for October and November is under a “very high risk”.

Yesterday, 16:30

British Rowing, British Cycling and British Athletics are teaming up with Blue Peter to row, cycle and run the distance between the Blue Peter studio in Salford and the Japan National Stadium in Tokyo in just 30 days.

Yesterday, 15:42

The 2019-20 Premier League season will restart on Wednesday June 17, with Arsenal visiting Manchester City and Aston Villa hosting Sheffield United.

Yesterday, 15:13

The European Tour will resume in July with a run of six tournaments over six weeks in the UK, but the Dutch Grand Prix has been put back until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Yesterday, 15:00

West Ham United’s Pablo Fornals revealed his relief about the return to training at Rush Green as the Premier League looks to restart next month.

Yesterday, 14:58

The England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have confirmed a further delay to the start of the professional domestic cricket season, with no play before August 1.

Yesterday, 12:00

With sport slowly starting to return across the globe during the coronavirus pandemic, why not test your sporting knowledge with another quiz?

Wed, 19:03

Eoin Morgan would be “surprised” if the T20 World Cup goes ahead as scheduled later this year but indicated any deferment will not shape his future as England captain.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The Government is encouraging people to stay alert as many take their first steps back to their workplace.

The Government has announced an unprecedented package of support to protect jobs and support business across the UK during the coronavirus outbreak.

People working for a wide range of private companies have been standing side-by-side with public sector staff on the front line during the coronavirus outbreak.

Most read sport

Competitions

A competition for wannabe writers has been started to add works to Canary Wharf’s ‘short story’ dispensers which are temporarily locked up by the lock down.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser