Search

Wealdstone striker Hughes on being released by Leyton Orient and his rise in men’s football

PUBLISHED: 10:00 05 August 2020

Action from Leyton Orient v Maldon & Tiptree in the FA Cup, Picture: Simon O'Connor

Action from Leyton Orient v Maldon & Tiptree in the FA Cup, Picture: Simon O'Connor

Simon O'Connor Photography simon@simonoconnor.co.uk 07958 573219

Striker Charlee Hughes was dropped from Leyton Orient academy, gave up, but has found his way slowly back up the ladder – most recently being signed by National League side Wealdstone.

The 24-year-old believes men’s football made him the player he is and was probably more suited to that path rather than staying in academy football.

The former Maldon & Tiptree front man says he has learnt so much rising up through the non-league ranks, saying: “It’s probably played one of the biggest parts in my progression, men’s football in itself is a very different game to the academy level football, especially as a young player.

“You learn a lot quicker the value of winning, you learn a lot quicker the value of different aspects that need to be played in a team, rather than just getting the ball down and playing.

“I coach and teach a lot of younger children and football teams, I try to give them that side of the men’s football. Playing good football and looking pretty is great, some times you need to realise we need to win this game and this is how we’re going to do it.

You may also want to watch:

“That was the main experience I’ve learnt from the lower leagues and joining men’s football early on. Getting that job done isn’t always going to look pretty.

“I definitely feel there is pros and cons for both sides, but I seemed to flourish a lot more coming from men’s football, than I did going through an academy.

“I’m glad I got into men’s football a lot earlier than I probably would’ve done had I stayed in academy football and played under-21s and under-23s.”

Hughes did admit being released by the O’s made him lose hope but his dad inspired him to start playing again.

“I got released when I was 16 then gave up football for a little while and then my dad, who was manager at Old Southendians, just said come over with me and just play.

“I went over as an 18-year-old, then ended up at Burnham Ramblers, Bowers & Pitsea, Brentwood, then Maldon & Tiptree. I’ve been playing men’s football now for almost four years. From the academy I lost a bit of confidence, gave up, but then eventually found my way back through men’s football.

“My dad still coaches for Leyton Orient and it was more bittersweet, being a part of the FA Cup rather than it being Leyton Orient. Although it did help with my nerves as I’d been there before.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 17:00

East London women’s first team started the season in style with a 3-2 victory over Bromley & Beckenham.

Mon, 16:13

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton said he is “devastated” they have been forced out of the Carabao Cup without being able to come up against Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur.

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Veteran Ryan ten Doeschate helped Essex bat out a draw to hand his side the inaugural Bob Willis Trophy and their third first-class title in four years.

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Redbridge picked up a 2-1 victory over local rivals Woodford Town in George Christou’s first match in charge after being appointed last week.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Jamie Porter has put Essex into a strong position as they shape up for the final day’s play in this Bob Willis Trophy clash at Lord’s where Somerset will resume on 227 for 7 and a lead of 191.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Sir Alastair Cook struck the 67th first-class century of his career when compiling 172 in the Bob Willis Trophy final.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Alastair Cook stroked his way to 172 as he produced an innings of the highest quality to put Essex on the cusp of a first innings lead in their Bob Willis Trophy clash with Somerset at Lord’s.

PROMOTED CONTENT

For the past six months, employers and employees have been adapting to ways of working from home. The green light has now been given to many people to go back to offices safely. From flexible hours and staggered starting times to deep cleaning, we’re getting ready for new ways of working.

School’s in for summer – and beyond – with health experts agreeing that pupils safely returning to their studies is “positively” the right thing to do. It’s vital for all children’s welfare, not just in terms of students’ future education but also mental and physical well-being, as well as social interaction of classmates.

The NHS Test and Trace system provides protection for family, friends, colleagues and the community, and is here to keep all of us safe and allow us to enjoy summer safely. We take a look at how the system is working and talk to one member of the thousands of team members about her experiences.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser